My 72 F100

Show us your rides or projects!

Moderator: FORDification

dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

My 72 F100

Post by dustman_stx »

Finally got some pictures of the 72 uploaded. I think you can see the 71 F100 in a few of the pics. Just a few notes about the truck: Currently have the BF Goodrich drag radials on it, but normally roll on Cooper Cobras all the way around; if you look you'll notice I removed the antenna; the fuel filler hole was covered and a tank was added under the bed; roll pan was added out back; etc. The only thing that has been done to this truck that wasn't done by me was the final body work and paint, assembling the short block, and rebuilding the transmission. Hope you enjoy.

RTG_RACING
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: My 72 F100

Post by RTG_RACING »

Thats a nice truck. I love that grill. Are the heads on that FE aluminum? If so what kind and how do you like them. I am looking for a set now. I just haven't found many people with them.
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

RTG_RACING wrote:Thats a nice truck. I love that grill. Are the heads on that FE aluminum? If so what kind and how do you like them. I am looking for a set now. I just haven't found many people with them.
That is so funny that you ask about the heads. I couldn't afford the Edelbrock heads, so I ported and polished my C8AE-H heads and then painted them with aluminum paint. I really think the paint upped the performance of the heads more than the porting and polishing!!! J/K :D
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Gotta' excuse me while I wipe the drool off the monitor! :lol:
You've got a very fine example of our bumps restored there man, beautiful truck for sure. And the vacuum canister tells me the engine's pretty stout too.
Can you elaborate on the front grill assembly please?
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
SeventyNew

Post by SeventyNew »

Now that's a beautiful truck!

I bet you're an extremely proud owner.

Cheers!
Nick M.
http://www.invisionprototypes.com
Detail Driven
Rhythm - All steel - scratch built - late 60's inspired concept car.
SeventyNew - 3/4Ton Bumpside custom workhorse.
kyle ray

Post by kyle ray »

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

that truck is beautiful
quantumleap
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by quantumleap »

so sweet man...youve got one of the cleanest around....got any other plans?
Daniel--67' reg cab black shortbed/fe/4spd/ford 9
RTG_RACING
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by RTG_RACING »

basketcase0302 wrote:Gotta' excuse me while I wipe the drool off the monitor! :lol:
You've got a very fine example of our bumps restored there man, beautiful truck for sure. And the vacuum canister tells me the engine's pretty stout too.
Can you elaborate on the front grill assembly please?
I'm going out on a limb here. But I am gonna say it's a 71 grill with the LMC billit inserts.
69FLATBED
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 69FLATBED »

dustman, your truck looks great. :thup: Did you make those door panels? I like the clean look on them.
Troy
Love my diesels hope to be gasoline free soon!
hotrod ford
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hotrod ford »

:thup: , that is a great lookin truck you have there. Very nice work.
1971 Sport Custom SWB: 360/C6 3.00
1965 Ford Falcon 4Dr: Inline 170 3sp
JMcTurnan

Post by JMcTurnan »

That is a dang good looking truck.
rad67F100

Post by rad67F100 »

I love the color! thinking about something similar for my 67 swb,you mind sharing the paint code?
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by papabug71 »

Man that is SLICK ! I like the front. The inserts go nicely with the clear turn signal lenses :thup:

I agree with basketcase0302, anytime I see a vacuum can, I cant help but think BIG. FAT. CAM !!!! :D
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
KF100TK

Post by KF100TK »

:yt: 8) 8)
dustman_stx
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dustman_stx »

Thanks for all the compliments. I'll try to respond to everything.

The grill actually came from LMC truck, if I remember correctly. I believe it was around $200, and was very easy to install. Most of my parts came from either LMC, Dennis Carpenter, or National Parts Depot.

I custom made the door panels. I ordered some that were supposed to fit from LMC, and I didn't see any way to even come close to making them work. They were about 2" too small all the way around. So I decided to make my own. I used the old panels as a template and cut out a piece of hardboard the same size. Hardboard is the stuff that peg board is made out of, but with no holes in it. About a 1/4" thick, maybe a little less. After cutting the board and cutting the holes for the door handles and window crank, I held the boards in place using the door handle studs and drilled holes around the perimiter every 6-8", going through the panel and the steel on the door. I had bought several packages of the plastic push rivets for door panels from O'Reillys to hold them on, and used a bit big enough to allow them to pass through and hold firmly. After drilling all holes, I countersunk the holes in the door panels with a spade bit and inserted the rivets. Then I mixed up some bondo and covered the rivets and sanded them down smooth after it dried. Then I cut the leather to fit and attached with adhesive spray- spend the money on the good spray. You have to spray onto the door and the leather, let it dry to a tack, and then lay it. Use extra care to avoid getting bulges- I usually lay the leather down, and raise up and spray a half at a time to keep everything straight.

As far as paint color, it is actually a custom mix. I originally was looking at charcoal grays, but couldn't find anything quite dark enough. But I didn't want black. And I added quite a bit of metallic flake to it. And he put a couple other things in it, but I couldn't tell you what it was. Dodge did come out with a car around 2007-2008 that is very close to it, but I don't know what the paint is called. I would start there and I think you will really like it if you can figure out what it is.

Other plans?? You know how it is, there's always more to do. I am actually in the process right now of getting a rear axle assembled for it. I've got a housing and pumpkin from an early 80's truck that is getting new 4.10 gears and new 31 spline axles and all new bearings and seals made for it. I installed the locker that's in it now, but only because there was no need to reset the lash, etc. With this new rear end getting the gear swap and all, I just don't have the tools or know-how to be confident I can set it up correctly.