Strong gas odor.

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

JPay

Strong gas odor.

Post by JPay »

I just bought a 71 Camper Special, F250. There is a strong gas odor coming from somewhere. I've changed the gas caps but, doesn't seem to help. Any ideas? Thanks.
Josh
papabug71
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Strong gas odor.

Post by papabug71 »

Do you have the in cab tank? If so, I would check the fuel lines from the tank all the way to the fuel pump. Replace any suspect lines you find. My truck was stinking inside the cab. Turned out to be a dry rotted fuel line on the under side of the cab. :thup:
Matt
1971 F-100 Sport Custom - My grandpaws truck
Been in the family since 10/3/'71 (Brand spankin' new)
Mine since 5/7/'94
302 / 3 speed / 3:25's
--Currently undergoing full frame off resto/mod--
SoCalExile
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by SoCalExile »

Also check the rubber filler neck hose for dry rot or swelling. Happened to me - but mine would only smell if I filled up higher than 3/4.
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cdeal28078 »

Some trucks had emission style in cab tanks that have the vent lines run up in a loop over top of the tank and head to the charcoal can. Others don't have this and use a vented fuel cap instead. If you run a vented fuel cap on a tank that doesn't use one or the other way around it might cause pressure or vacuum in the tank.
Might just be a wore out gasket under the cap also. My 71 F100 would smell of fuel and I found a couple newer gaskets in the pull a part and stacked 2 together under my fuel cap and it stopped all the odors and spillage during a turn
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD