My 69 F100 Ranger

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

TX69F100

My 69 F100 Ranger

Post by TX69F100 »

And so it begins...

This is my bump that I bought back in August of 2004. I started acquiring parts for a motor/trans swap at least four years ago, and I'm just now getting around to doing it. I have plans for many more upgrades in the future, but I'm starting with the motor/trans.

A big thanks to my friend Matt at Gearhead Automotive Performance. He's been my consultant throughout as well as performing most of the work (long block assembly, etc.). I've pretty much just played the gopher and manual labor support role.

Anyway, on to the bump. Here's how she sits now:

Side view

Front

Interior

Dash/Steering wheel

Let's take a peek under the hood

Let the fun begin

Good ole 360FE

Fresh 390FE, priming the oil system

Wife/photographer admiring the new motor

Assembling the rockers on the shafts

Rocker assembly installed

Performance Distributor setup

Plug wires test fitted

Something's missing

360 outta there (We found evidence of a rebuild)

C6 trans removed (we also found evidence that it had been worked on)

...including a newer converter

High flow Edelbrock water pump installed

Some of the accessories installed

Valve covers installed

Headers installed

390 finding it's new home. It's great having friends like Matt, who know what the heck they are doing...since I have no idea. LoL

Straightening her up

Finally home

Hmmm...What's this???

Oh, and one of these

Stay tuned...
Last edited by TX69F100 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: My 69 F100 Ranger

Post by trukcrazy »

Great looking truck and you made the swap look so easy. Thanks for the pictures......now where are some more? :P
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
cheek
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cheek »

What he said^ That engine makes me feel funny lol
1970 Ford F100 351C FMX Daily
1972/3 Ford F100 Project
brandon.k
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by brandon.k »

Very nice! I bet that thing is gonna hump when its done. :thup:
ImageImage
TX69F100

Post by TX69F100 »

Thanks guys! I plan to keep this thread updated with photos as the work progresses. Hopefully, the trans will go in this weekend and I can get a video of the initial fire-up.
brandon.k wrote:Very nice! I bet that thing is gonna hump when its done. :thup:
I'll let you know when I find out! LoL
Brent

1969 F100 Ranger 390/C6 <--- Build thread
1970FordTK
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1970FordTK »

Great story and pictures, just a few things I see wrong here. (sarcasm warning) One the actor that is playing you is way to young and thin.(you might have gotten away with that one)Motor looks great, but couldn't you have painted the accessories/brackets while out. Love the valve covers, gives it that old school look. (here is where I knew you put in actors) Picture of wife that looks that good not hitting you with a fry pan about taking up garage space and money you spent on that "thing".
On a serious note, motor looks great. You dang sure took your time and listened well to get those parts for it. I will give you a warning that after its back together and the wife drives it you may lose it to her. Either that or she will never get tired of putting a dollar on the dash and trying to get you to grab it when she is driving. As always, the more pictures on the job the better we like it cause we can see your progress. Thanks for sharing it with us. :D
TX69F100

Post by TX69F100 »

1970FordTK wrote:Great story and pictures, just a few things I see wrong here. (sarcasm warning) One the actor that is playing you is way to young and thin.(you might have gotten away with that one)Motor looks great, but couldn't you have painted the accessories/brackets while out. Love the valve covers, gives it that old school look. (here is where I knew you put in actors) Picture of wife that looks that good not hitting you with a fry pan about taking up garage space and money you spent on that "thing".
On a serious note, motor looks great. You dang sure took your time and listened well to get those parts for it. I will give you a warning that after its back together and the wife drives it you may lose it to her. Either that or she will never get tired of putting a dollar on the dash and trying to get you to grab it when she is driving. As always, the more pictures on the job the better we like it cause we can see your progress. Thanks for sharing it with us. :D
LoL!!!

Thanks for the comments. You're right about painting the accessories/brackets, and we considered doing just that. However, keep in mind that this work is being done at Matt's house (3 hours away from me), so we were more concerned with function at this point in the game. I definitely plan to dress them up (along with a LOT of other things) once I get the truck back in my own garage.

As far as the valve covers go, those were actually the ones that were on the old 360 when I got it, so I just decided to go with them to save a few bucks. I am toying with the idea of changing to something a little fancier in the future, but for now the dull finished M/Ts should serve the purpose.
Brent

TexasTruck72
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by TexasTruck72 »

Good looking truck and new 390!
Jack

1943 Ford GPW Jeep(sold)
1972 F-100 Custom
1976 F-150 Explorer
1996 F-150 Eddie Bauer ed.
1970FordTK
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1970FordTK »

I hear ya, I actually like the old M/T valve covers. And believe me I understand putting things off that aren't have too's for it to be running. :thup:
hazelnut
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by hazelnut »

:$$: :$$: :drool: Hope the rearend can hold up to what you just put in front of it. Hows the brakes ? :lol: All kidding aside looks good and cant wait to see whats next :thup:
TX69F100

Post by TX69F100 »

Thanks guys!

Hazelnut,
I am planning a gear swap (perhaps a 3.70 posi to balance street/strip duties). I have discs on the front, and drums on the back (which I plan to upgrade to discs one of these days). Are there any "direct swap" rear disc brake options out there from other vehicles (I heard someone mention a late-90s explorer, but they weren't sure)?

Does anyone have suggestions for traction aids? Any specific products for ladder bars, slapper bars, etc.?
Last edited by TX69F100 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brent

TX69F100

Post by TX69F100 »

We made some more progress over the weekend.

Looky there...a TCI Super StreetFighter

Custom 9.5" converter installed

Jacking up the rear to clear the trans

Making use of a creeper to get the trans into place

Going up

Bolted up

One of these should keep it cool

3" exhaust ready to go in

What's in the box?

650CFM Speed Demon

We were so close to being ready to fire her up, but we were missing a couple of fittings for the fuel connections that we were unable to find locally. Almost there...
Brent

BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Looks great! If I were you, I'd swap out the trans selector shaft with the stock one from the original trans to make hooking up the linkage easier. You are also going to have to have your driveshaft shortened and a different yoke installed. What kind of gears do you have in the rear end? That thing should rock when you're finished!! :thup:
jnash40

Post by jnash40 »

just curious what headers did you use , and did you have to cut the frame for them to fit, i have a 302 and i heard there are problems putting the headers in??
TX69F100

Post by TX69F100 »

BobbyFord wrote:Looks great! If I were you, I'd swap out the trans selector shaft with the stock one from the original trans to make hooking up the linkage easier. You are also going to have to have your driveshaft shortened and a different yoke installed. What kind of gears do you have in the rear end? That thing should rock when you're finished!! :thup:

Do you know how to remove the selector? I couldn't figure out how to remove it.

I was able to find a slip yoke from a local salvage yard over the weekend (from an 85 Ford w/ a C6), and Matt obtained the custom driveshaft from a local shop today (67 3/4" is what we measured, in case anyone else is doing this swap). He installed the driveshaft this evening and says that it fits beautifully. I plan on going with a 3.70 w/locker, but the current one has a 3.25 tag on it.

I can't wait to hear it run!
Last edited by TX69F100 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brent