Gettin' the interior floorpans stripped down [LG. PICS]

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Gettin' the interior floorpans stripped down [LG. PICS]

Post by FORDification »

Just thought I'd post a couple pictures of what I've been up to the past couple evenings. Normally I don't get to spend any time at the shop in the evenings, because of family obligations. However, Monday night and tonight I was free, so I spent all night both nights getting the interior floorpans ready for a coat of POR-15. (I'm covered in paint dust, haven't even hit the showers yet.) Got a couple small areas that'll need touched up by hand, and then I'll be ready to go. In addition to the floorpans, I also got the door-jambs stripped, since I'm going to coat them at the same time.

Well, I'm off to the showers! I'm tired and sore but I'm pleased with the progress I was able to make the past couple evenings. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
campfire67

re: Gettin' the interior floorpans stripped down [LG. PICS]

Post by campfire67 »

:clap: very good progress :thup: :drive:
Life is to short to worry..... be happy :D
shrektruck

Post by shrektruck »

Man Kieth! Those things look so sweet all cleaned up like that you should consider clearcoating them to show off all the effort!
LOOKIN GOOD! :thup:
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

Man you really know how to strip!!
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Looks good. After the POR are you going to do any sort of taped on or roll on insulation or just paint and when the time caomes, carpet or floor mat?
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
OLEYELLERTRUCK

Post by OLEYELLERTRUCK »

Looks good! Looks like a really nice cab also.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: Gettin' the interior floorpans stripped down [LG. PI

Post by FORDification »

1970sportcustom wrote:Looks good. After the POR are you going to do any sort of taped on or roll on insulation or just paint and when the time comes, carpet or floor mat?
Oh yes, I'll definitely be installing some sound deadener / heat insulator material under the carpet. I've got some stuff that should work just fine.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

what tools are you useing to strip the floors like that. I'm about to do my 68 cougar and 71 SWB at the same time.

thanks
Austin
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

This is it. The majority of the cleaning gets done with the blue composite wheel on the right. I'm completely amazed at how well these things actually work, stripping off the paint and primer down to bare metal without damaging the metal. Once I've gotten everywhere I can reach with the composite wheel, I then get started with the wire wheel that's mounted on the angle grinder in the pic above. Not quite as fast, but you can get into a lot of nooks and crannies. The few places (very sharp bends) that neither of these can get into are at least roughed up with the drill and it's attachment, since the drill doesn't generate enough speed to really strip the paint. After that, it's manual labor....sandpaper and my fingers.

I'd estimate I have about 10-12 hours time invested into stripping the interior floorpans and door-jambs.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
dduude

Post by dduude »

Looks good :D you can be proud :woohoo: ...Dude 8)
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Keith, what are you going to do with the brackets that hold the dome lite switch? I can't decide if I should paint mine or bust the rust and paint them to look like bare metal. Mine look like they came bare from the factory, but have some surface ruct on them. Not sure if they will look right painted.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

That looks good, Keith!
You're really coming along on your truck! :clap:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: Gettin' the interior floorpans stripped down [LG. PI

Post by FORDification »

1970sportcustom wrote:Keith, what are you going to do with the brackets that hold the dome lite switch? I can't decide if I should paint mine or bust the rust and paint them to look like bare metal. Mine look like they came bare from the factory, but have some surface ruct on them. Not sure if they will look right painted.
You know, I'm not much of a planner.....that is, many of the decisions I make are made on the fly, done as I'm working on it. However, at the moment I think I'll probably paint them to match the door-jambs, so they'll tend to be less visible. It's also possible that I'll be picking up a can of Eastwood's Silver Cad aerosol, so that I can do those brackets and several underhood items to look kinda like the factory pieces.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

Ok, now for the tough question. Why grinding instead of sand blasting? I'm sure both make a mess.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hmmm....well:

1) The cab is already bolted down to the frame. I didn't want the hassle of trying to move it around and into the sandblast booth.

2) I wouldn't want to blast it while it's on the frame, because of the possibility of damage to already-painted components.

3) Sandblasting makes a HECK of a mess, much more so than a little bit of paint dust caused from grinding/sanding. The cleanup from grinding/sanding is limited to blowing off some dust with the air hose. If I were to blast this, I'd have had to construct a booth around the whole truck to contain the sand and dust.

4) When sandblasting, you only get a 10-minute work window, after which you have to shut everything down, peel off your protective gear and blow it off, then sweep up all the sand and strain it into a barrel to remove the garbage, then funnel it back into sandblaster, get back into your protective gear, drain the moisture out of the sandblaster, and then get back to work for another 10 minutes. I figure for every 10 minutes worth of blasting, there's at least 20-25 minutes of make-ready.

If there had been any rust, I most certainly would have sandblasted. However, since the cab was in good shape and all that needed to be removed was paint/primer, I figure I actually saved time (and wear/tear on the sandblaster and air compressor) by just sanding it off.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video