What size breaker for my welder?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

tanusfarms

What size breaker for my welder?

Post by tanusfarms »

My father inlaw has a welder he has had for years but has never been able to afford the breaker to power it so he can use it. I am planning on giving him the breaker for christmas. I can get more info if needed but for now I know it is both a wire feed and a arc welder. on the front of it it lists it has a 60 amp primary and if I remember correctly a 180 amp secondary. I also will need to ensure I wave the correct wire for it. I will be going back out the in the next few days to do some work for him so I can get more info off of it if I need to. Please just let me know what info I should get so I can get the right materials. Thanks
Greg

Custom Built and modified F250 highboy, custom dump box, Warn model 8274 winch mounted on the 335 lbs front bumper
Image Image
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Re: What size breaker for my welder?

Post by Mancar1 »

Any other info off the welders ID tag?
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
tanusfarms

Post by tanusfarms »

There is I will be out there on thursday. I will be sure to grab everything off of it. If I remember correctly it is a old Airco welder.
Greg

Custom Built and modified F250 highboy, custom dump box, Warn model 8274 winch mounted on the 335 lbs front bumper
Image Image
tanusfarms

Post by tanusfarms »

here the only info I really have to go by. I know he has a 100 amp panel in the shop and doesn't really run alot of other stuff while out there.

so what size breaker should I use
Greg

Image Image
Oren09

Post by Oren09 »

Its a welder so it needs 230v (240v depending on who says it or labels. That one says 208v)
House current is 115v (or 120v). There is already a 230 circuit in the house for things like a clothes dryer, but there needs to be a wire for it near the welder.
~Austin
1971 F250 Ranger XLT Camper Special. 360, auto.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

I know he has a 100 amp panel in the shop
From the data plate you would need 60 amp service, (should be #6 copper wire feeding the welder plug/receptacle) to stick weld. If there's a 100 amp panel in the garage already, it shouldn't be too hard to wire that in. But be advised that most states require a licensed electrician to run the wire, (but run a poll here to see how many folks do their own wiring in the shop). :lol:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Don H

Post by Don H »

Install a 50 amp breaker for the welder. Use a 50 amp receptacle and #6 wire. Although the welder is capable of pulling 60 amps you would never need that much unless you plan on welding some very thick steel. You need to match the receptacle rating with the breaker size. Once you get over 50 amps the receptacles get expensive. One other thing to look at is the plug end on the welder right now, if you match that it will save you from buying a new one.
Don
tanusfarms

Post by tanusfarms »

I remember him saying they had it on a 60 amp breaker before he bought it and it kept popping the breaker. I was thinking of using a 70 amp. I know its currently a 50 amp welder plug on it at the moment so I will need to get a 50 amp plug. I know there is a nec code that allows welders to use 200% over current protection on the circuit they are on so I don't think the 70 amp should be a problem. does anyone see any fault in what I am thinking here?
Greg

Image Image
fbomb100
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by fbomb100 »

averagef250 wrote:
One final note, if the electrical service you plan to run this welder off of is fed with aluminum wire that's more than a decade or so old CHECK AND DOUBLECHECK ALL THE CONNECTIONS for both corrosion and tightness of the wire terminals/lugs. I nearly burned my house down because of pulling 200 amps (and the occasional 700 amp rotary converter startup current) through a 200 amp residential aluminum power service.
shoot don't remind me about my house wiring thats aluminum from 1970 built
tanusfarms

Post by tanusfarms »

thank you for the replies everyone. I will be getting the 50 amp breaker. I know the service is fairly knew but i will recheck the connections before I hook it all. He already has 6 gauge copper running to the location he wants it so I don't have to worry about that. again thank you very much
Greg

Image Image