Main #50 Project Thread: 1972 F250 4x2; 8,100lb GVW; FE+T18

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Main #50 Project Thread: 1972 F250 4x2; 8,100lb GVW; FE+T18

Post by robroy »

Good morning Joe, thanks for replying!
fomocoguy wrote:Glad to hear Tom will have it completely ready for you!
Indeed! It will be a different animal with the exhaust, carb' and fan changes.
fomocoguy wrote:You wanna take any mileage bets? I'm gonna guess about 9 if your easy on her... :D
Yes I'd be happy to take mileage bets! 9 sounds reasonable based on the reports I've seen, yet there aren't very many Bumpsides around with FEs set up quite like this--I'm not sure how much the reports apply. And of course, the engine still has only 30-50 miles on it, so its mileage might improve a lot over the first 500-1,000.

Thanks for your excellent reply Joe, and I hope your weekend's fantastic,
Robroy
FormerMarine1981
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by FormerMarine1981 »

I bet you won't pass too many gas stations lol
What we do in Life, Echoes in Eternity
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day FormerMarine1981, thanks for replying!
FormerMarine1981 wrote:I bet you won't pass too many gas stations
You certainly could be right! I'm quite curious to see.

Today's Updates:
  1. A fan shroud P/N D3TZ-8146-C "D3TA-DA" is on its way from Dennis Carpenter to Tom's.
  2. A Derale P/N 17319 (USA-made, 19", all-steel, 6,000 RPM-rated, six-blade, non-flex fan) is on its way from Summit to Tom's.
FormerMarine1981, thanks again for your great reply!
Robroy
forrestbump
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by forrestbump »

Roroy, YOU are a "national treasure" to this site in that your research has saved me, and I'm sure countless others, many hours of research, trial and error plus saved us money in our Bump builds all by your very generous nature of sharing, in detail, each and every step of the way with what YOU'VE accomplished with #50's build.

THANK YOU!!!

Larry
1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Sky View Blue, Ranger XLT

1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, A/C, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (again, of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Wimbledon White & Sky View Blue, Ranger (almost twin brothers!)

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do" - Henry Ford

Larry
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Robroy,
That's a heck of a fan. Should sound like an F4U...:D
I've got a 1972 429 LTD flex fan on my motor, pulls A LOT of air. That six blade should be more than adequate.
Hemmi06
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Hemmi06 »

forrestbump wrote:Roroy, YOU are a "national treasure" to this site in that your research has saved me, and I'm sure countless others, many hours of research, trial and error plus saved us money in our Bump builds all by your very generous nature of sharing, in detail, each and every step of the way with what YOU'VE accomplished with #50's build.

THANK YOU!!!

Larry
:yt:
1971 F250 Camper Special
360cu with RV cam and 4v Carb
fomocoguy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fomocoguy »

Hey Robroy, I was just thinking to myself about your exhaust and the thread that you had going about what diameter pipe to use and how to configure it all. Did Tom agree with your findings or did he have his own opinion on what size pipe and type of crossover to use?
Joe

1971 F100 flareside 8ft
1964 Chrysler New Yorker Town and Country wagon
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins
2005 Ford Ranger
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day Larry, Bobby, Hemmi06, and Joe, thanks for your marvelous replies!
forrestbump wrote:Robroy, YOU are a "national treasure" to this site in that your research has saved me, and I'm sure countless others, many hours of research, trial and error plus saved us money in our Bump builds all by your very generous nature of sharing, in detail, each and every step of the way with what YOU'VE accomplished with #50's build.
Thanks for saying this Larry--that's very kind of you! It's hard for me to imagine how #50 would have turned out without FORDification, but the contrast is probably about like a muddy Cabbage Patch doll at the landfill versus a Terracotta Army soldier with green LED eyeballs. I've received a lot of education here!
forrestbump wrote:THANK YOU!!!
You're welcome Larry--thanks for appreciating the threads!
BobbyFord wrote:That's a heck of a fan. Should sound like an F4U...:D
I've got a 1972 429 LTD flex fan on my motor, pulls A LOT of air. That six blade should be more than adequate.
Thanks Bobby! And you're probably right--it will probably be pretty loud. If the noise bugs me I'll try something else, but at the moment I'm inclined towards simplicity wherever possible. Your fan setup sounds good (and simple) too! I actually wasn't aware that Ford used flex-fans; that's interesting.
fomocoguy wrote:Hey Robroy, I was just thinking to myself about your exhaust and the thread that you had going about what diameter pipe to use and how to configure it all. Did Tom agree with your findings or did he have his own opinion on what size pipe and type of crossover to use?
Thanks for being interested Joe! Tom agreed that for my application and intended use, 2.5" pipes with an H-pipe would be a good configuration, so that's how it's being done.

If I remember correctly, I heard that the 2.5" pipes would be quieter, more torque-inclined, and less horsepower-inclined than larger pipes; I liked the sound of that. Plus, I'd already ordered my headers and mufflers, both of which were set up for 2.5" pipes.

Regarding the H-pipe, here too I believe I heard from Tom that the H was more torque-oriented, while the X was more horsepower-oriented. I may not be remembering what I heard correctly though, so I could ask him about this again. I was actually thinking of doing another video-recorded interview with him about this latest carburetor and exhaust work!

Today's Updates:
  1. Tom went with a Holley 0-80783C 650 CFM carb' (replacing the Edelbrock 1407 750 CFM carb').
  2. I believe Tom made changes to the carb' configuration before installing it (I'll ask for the details)!
  3. Due to a miscommunication (my fault), Tom didn't include an H-pipe at first, but he's going to cut that section out and re-do it with an H'.
  4. Since it's a convenient spot to locate one, Tom will put the H' right behind the transmission crossmember.
  5. Tom asked me whether I'd like a straight welded H', or one with a flange in the middle. He explained that the flanged type makes the exhaust a little easier to remove and install, since it's possible to separate the two sides of the exhaust (making it easier to handle), while the solid welded type is cleaner looking. I decided to ask for the flanged type, since I prefer easy serviceability over good looks (and I think the flange looks fine)!
  6. Tom will be including O2 sensor bungs for future chassis dyno tuning.
  7. Dennis Carpenter said they were out of D3TZ-8146-C/D3TA-DA shrouds, and that I'd have to wait a year for them to make more! So they canceled the order.
  8. I called NPD to see if they had any of the D.C. shrouds in stock, but they were all sold out too.
  9. Finally I ordered LMC P/N 43-2834, which their catalog lists as "D3TA-8146-DA," which I don't think is even a Ford part number. But I spoke to a woman on the phone and heard its dimensions, and it sounds like the same thing.
  10. At $100, I doubt it's the D.C. reproduction shroud, and is probably even from China or India--we'll see! Being LMC, the lady naturally refused to tell me where it's made (or by whom). And we know what that usually means!
Tom sent me these photos on Thursday of the work done so far; y'all can click on them to see full-sized editions.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Larry, Bobby, Hemmi06, and Joe, thanks for your fantastic replies!
Robroy
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good morning!

I've neglected to share an important #50 event! On Tuesday, December 28th I took #50 to California Auto and Tire for to have its toe-in and camber measured.

I mentioned that I'd noticed a little steering wheel vibration on the freeway so they also balanced the front wheels. The guy mentioned that one was bent, but wasn't bad enough to make it impossible to balance. I remembered hearing the same thing from other tire shops years ago.

I found this place just by looking on Google Maps for nearby alignment shops, and this guy's literally just a couple of minutes away from #50's home! The owner, Mike, was a really friendly guy. He's working on restoring his dad's '65 Mustang so we had a chat about that.

They measured the toe-in and camber. The toe-in was a few degrees off (I forget which way) so that was corrected, and they measured the truck's obvious positive camber. I heard that the springs would probably settle and come out about right after perhaps 1,000 miles.

Their bill was $60, which seemed OK to me.

ImageImage

Robroy
Fordnatic
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordnatic »

Great thread. Excellent idea organizing the links that! If you do decide to get electric fans it's possible to get significant mileage increase. I ended up with about 1.3 MPG's on my 2001 F150, and it started with a clutch fan! It takes a lot of power to spin that heavy fan up each time you rev up the engine, such as going through the gears. The engine revved noticeably quicker with the electric fans.

I found a really nice fan controller from SPAL. It has a coolant sensor instead of those probes in the radiator fins (I had trouble with those). It starts the fan slowly to avoid the shock on the electric system. It spools up to 50%, then increases speed as necessary to maintain temp. Then if you have a second fan it will kick on after the first is at 100%. I've found it to be a great set up on mine.
Last edited by Fordnatic on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
70F100: 410 Merc with tri-power, close ratio toploader, 4.56 detroit locker 9"
68F100 4x4: 390, 4 spd/NP 205, Rancho 4" urethane susp, 35x12.50 All Terrain T/A's
55F100
01F150 Daily Driver: TP tunes, AF1 intake, elec fans, Magnaflow exh, underdrive pulleys, Centerlines
Fordnatic
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordnatic »

Double Post
70F100: 410 Merc with tri-power, close ratio toploader, 4.56 detroit locker 9"
68F100 4x4: 390, 4 spd/NP 205, Rancho 4" urethane susp, 35x12.50 All Terrain T/A's
55F100
01F150 Daily Driver: TP tunes, AF1 intake, elec fans, Magnaflow exh, underdrive pulleys, Centerlines
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good afternoon Fordnatic, thanks for replying!
Fordnatic wrote:Great thread. Excellent idea organizing the links that!
Thank you! I observed others using a single, main project thread as an "index," and took their lead.
Fordnatic wrote:If you do decide to get electric fans it's possible to get significant mileage increase. I ended up with about 1.3 MPG's on my 2001 F150, and it started with a clutch fan! It takes a lot of power to spin that heavy fan up each time you rev up the engine, such as going through the gears. The engine revved noticeably quicker with the electric fans.
This is interesting; thanks for letting me know. I do believe an electric fan's better in several ways, yet at the moment I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. I've been choosing to invest more of my time elsewhere lately.
Fordnatic wrote:I found a really nice fan controller from SPAL. It has a coolant sensor instead of those probes in the radiator fins (I had trouble with those). It starts the fan slowly to avoid the shock on the electric system. It spools up to 50%, then increases speed as necessary to maintain temp. Then if you have a second fan it will kick on after the first is at 100%. I've found it to be a great set up on mine.
That sounds very nice! I especially like the idea of the real coolant sensor. I guess the radiator fin probe works fine for most folks but I can't help but think of running around in giant circles in the backyard with a thermometer under my tongue--it just seems like a hazardous idea!

Today's Updates:
  1. Yesterday I spoke with Dustin (AverageF250) on the phone about the 1995 4:1 T19 he's pulling from a delivery van. When he pulls it out he'll take a closer look at it, and if its condition looks good and it's configured to be a bolt-in swap, I'll take a road trip to pick it up!
  2. Since FE Specialties is just a fifty mile detour from my route to Dustin's in Oregon, I'm planning to schedule the trip so that I can pick up #50 on the way back to Salinas. It'll be quite an adventure!
Fordnatic, thank you again for your great reply!
Robroy
Hemmi06
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Hemmi06 »

I see a "Road Trip" :drive: in your future.
1971 F250 Camper Special
360cu with RV cam and 4v Carb
HOWDY69
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by HOWDY69 »

robroy wrote: Since FE Specialties is just a fifty mile detour from my route to Dustin's in Oregon, I'm planning to schedule the trip so that I can pick up #50 on the way back to Salinas. It'll be quite an adventure!
Robroy,

Let me know when you are going to be at Tom's and I will try and drop by.
69 F250, FE Specialties 410, CJ Valves, RPM Intake, Holley 4150,......10 Smiles per gallon
71 Clydesdale in many pieces; 302 roller motor waiting impatiently
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good afternoon Hemmi06 and Howdy69, thanks for replying!
Hemmi06 wrote:I see a "Road Trip" :drive: in your future.
Indeed! I'm looking forward to it.
HOWDY69 wrote:Let me know when you are going to be at Tom's and I will try and drop by.
Excellent--I'll be certain to let you know!

Today's Update:

I heard from Tom that's it's ready! To my surprise the LMC shroud and the six-blade fan bolted up perfectly and seem to fit OK. And the H-pipe's complete!

ImageImage

Now all I need to do is find a day that I can spend going up there to pick it up!

Hemmi06 and Howdy69, thanks for your fabulous replies,
Robroy