Help with travel tool kit

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Slimguy

Help with travel tool kit

Post by Slimguy »

Hi
I'm going to So-Cal next week to pick up a 1970 F250 camper special. My sister said it ran a few months ago, but now needs a battery. Other than that I dont know anything about it. My question is what is a minimum type of tool kit to get this thing to run? I mean, will a 1/2" and a 9/16" be enough? I'm probably not going to drive it back to Az but it has to run to get it on a transporter.

Thanks
Steve
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Help with travel tool kit

Post by averagef250 »

I like channellocks, a crescent wrench, philips, flatblade, good wire cutters, sharpie marker, razor blade, tape, 20' of high strength 3/16" rope and a high lift or railroad jack.

You can do almost anything with channelocks. A high lift jack can push, clamp, lift, pull and you wouldn't believe how much force one has with a 6 foot cheater. In a pinch a crappy crescent makes a hammer. A sharpie marker writes on stuff and if you have a problem with 3/8" fuel line you can cut both ends of the sharpie off with the wire cutters or razor blade and you get a 3/8" tube to hook two hoses together.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i have thos esears robo grip pliers and a 6 in one screwdriver. with changeable sized tips. the housing part is a 1/4 and 5/16 socket on the other end of the bit holder. i also have one of those car emergency socket sets. it has 1/4 3/8 in both amreican and metric. it also has a few 1/2 drive sockets. as well it has a crescent wrench dykes and needle nose pliers. tpae is good to have to wrap a radiator hose with. bailing wire is good to have for other misc things. tie ing stuff down with. i also have one of those pocket carpet knives that fold up. in my truck i have a small floor jack some rope ratchet straps and blocking for driving a flat tire up on so you cna get the jack under the axle or ibeam king bolt.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

4-way lug wrench, (if it's been sitting awhile-brakes might be locked up) take the cresent wrench dustin described above to whack the brake drums) and an electric fuel pump. :D
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Slimguy

Post by Slimguy »

Thanks guys
I forgot about channelocks, (gods gift to mankind), I have an all in one screwdriver, I'll throw that in there, I have some baling wire in there too. Zip-ties I forgot, but will throw those in, multi-meter I have.
A guy at work mentioned a product called HEET (?) that absorbs water in the fuel, anybody know about that?
Steve
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you probably wont need heet. it is a gas line or gas system antifreeze. thats what it is advertized as. it is suppose to rid the fuel system of water. so the gaslines dont freeze up in the winter time.