Engine lifts

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Heathcliff68f100

Engine lifts

Post by Heathcliff68f100 »

what do you guys do when you dont have one?
1989 dodge b250 van, 239 v6 blown a904 tranny RIP
1968 ford f100 lwb l6 240 c6 tranny
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Engine lifts

Post by fordman »

just before i got mine i was borrowing the nieghbors. before that all the large stuff went down to my dads place where he had a cherry picker. in between dads place and me borrowing and then getting my own. i have removed 4 cyls from cars piece by piece and a chain and pipe to get the block out. other ways are to use a tree and a ratcheting come along.
Heathcliff68f100

Post by Heathcliff68f100 »

well i gotta pull my 240 and i dont have a big enough tree and none of my friends have one i can borrow, what would you do?
1989 dodge b250 van, 239 v6 blown a904 tranny RIP
1968 ford f100 lwb l6 240 c6 tranny
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you can rent them also. i forgot about that option. we have a equipment rental place that will let you rent cherry pickers. i did that once myself.
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

1. Take three long pieces of water casings (pipe) chain the ends together so you can make them into a teepee. Place over what you would like to lift, place a come along in the chains and lift.
2. We have chained up the engine, placed a heavy pipe through the top of the chain above the fenders. The pipe needs to be long enough to stick out past both fenders so someone can grab each side. Take the tires off the vehicle set it on the frame. Now you can stand on blocks or if your tall enough and or the vehicle is low enough you pick up on the pipe and remove the engine. I does take alot of work but in a pinch it can work.

These are not the safest ways of doing things and you may cause more damage than you intend. Id really try to borrow or rent one first.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Just my :2cents: here but when you improvise and "manufacture" tools to use in place of the proper tool it ALWAYS takes longer and greatly increases the chance of personal injury. It's always best and safest to use the correct tool for the job. You are better off renting a cherry picker.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

hdpusher wrote:1. Take three long pieces of water casings (pipe) chain the ends together so you can make them into a teepee. Place over what you would like to lift, place a come along in the chains and lift.
2. We have chained up the engine, placed a heavy pipe through the top of the chain above the fenders. The pipe needs to be long enough to stick out past both fenders so someone can grab each side. Take the tires off the vehicle set it on the frame. Now you can stand on blocks or if your tall enough and or the vehicle is low enough you pick up on the pipe and remove the engine. I does take alot of work but in a pinch it can work.

These are not the safest ways of doing things and you may cause more damage than you intend. Id really try to borrow or rent one first.
there is no way i am that strong. well maybe fo the head and intake were off the 6cyl engine.
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

fordman wrote:
hdpusher wrote:1. Take three long pieces of water casings (pipe) chain the ends together so you can make them into a teepee. Place over what you would like to lift, place a come along in the chains and lift.

there is no way i am that strong. well maybe fo the head and intake were off the 6cyl engine.
My bad fordman... I didn't explain that one correctly. You grab one side and someone grabs the other or have 4 guys two on each side.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
bigmerc2003

Post by bigmerc2003 »

We always used a re-inforced header beam int he garage and a come-along until we finally found an old chain hoist
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i knew what yo umeant. i just dont think me and a helper could do it. mayeb. i did do a 4cyl similar to that myself though. i used a bar across the core support and the firewall and used the firewall as the piviot point. and picked the block up out of there myself. i then rolled it off of the core support to the ground and was able to pick it up kind of and move it into the garage.
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

fordman wrote:i knew what yo umeant. i just dont think me and a helper could do it. mayeb. i did do a 4cyl similar to that myself though. i used a bar across the core support and the firewall and used the firewall as the piviot point. and picked the block up out of there myself. i then rolled it off of the core support to the ground and was able to pick it up kind of and move it into the garage.
I think youd be surprised. The last one we did was a semi stripped down SBC and they are roughly 550 complete 4 of us managed to get it out fairly easy. A Ford 240 I6 prob weighs 400ish. The problem with the f100 would be getting it low enough to clear the core suport.
The only time we realy have done it is when a vehicle is found in the woods or in a field and we cant get any equipment in to remove the vehicle or the engine any other way.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
mhobryan

Post by mhobryan »

you can also try craigslist for used ones too..
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

mhobryan wrote:you can also try craigslist for used ones too..
thats where i got mine from. it came with a engine leveler and a new cylinder. all for 100.00 it had original came from harbour frieght.
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Whateverman »

:yt:
:lol: in my younger,stronger,stupider and stoneder years my bro and i pulled a 302 out of a 68 cougar using method #2 - only with out removing the tires,just the hood...we also lifted a 351w into and out of the trunk of my old malibu by hand..( should seen the looks on the machine shop guy's faces) :? :lol:
so glad i smartened up and started renting & eventually bought a crane
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...
bluemoose

Post by bluemoose »

Just use your backhoe! :doh: :evil: