AOD swap

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

fonzf100s

AOD swap

Post by fonzf100s »

Hey again, I have a '69 stepside, 302, 3spd. Shifter was moved to floor. I understand I would need to get the drive shaft too, but will an aod auto from an '80's truck bolt up to mine? I know I would either have to find an auto column, or run a floor shift, and do a different trans crossmember, but just curious as to whether it will bolt on to my engine if I get one from a 302 of that era. Thanks.

Ron S.
Heyyyyyyyyyy, keep 'em cool, keep 'em on the road!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: AOD swap

Post by willowbilly3 »

It will bolt to your engine but I am not sure on the convertor bolting to your flexplate and you can't swap those. I think there is a company that offers the early balance plate for this conversion. I think around 84 Ford started balancing the 302 different and you can't mix n match pieces.
Also you will need to install and understand the TV cable. It is absolutely critical to the tranny's survival that it be adjusted properly. Lokar makes cable kits. Since you already have a floor sahift you could just replace it with the correct one.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
fonzf100s

Post by fonzf100s »

Thanks, I'll have to do some more research on that one, I had an '83 that I restored early on and it had the AOD/302 auto. Appreciate the help. It's either that or swap manuals for a five speed from late '80's and do the hydraulic clutch switch etc.

Ron S.
Heyyyyyyyyyy, keep 'em cool, keep 'em on the road!
lobuck76

Post by lobuck76 »

I put an aod trans in a 70 f100, mated to a 351w. Both were out of an '80 lincoln mark. like wb3 said, the issues are the flywheel balance and the tv rod or cable. I understood that there were also different offsets on some of the flywheels.
I just had to slide the crossmember back a few inches and drill new holes. Also had driveline shortened and replaced the yoke with the slip yoke for the car transmission. I mounted the lincoln shift linkage to the middle crossmember. Ron
'71 F-100
jreb333

Post by jreb333 »

any new info on where to get the neccessary parts for an AOD swap anyone?
JESUS LOVES YOU! everyone else thinks your a jackass!