glovebox door spring

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

studdmstr

glovebox door spring

Post by studdmstr »

I did a search for this and didn't find a thing. I bought a new spring that pops the glovebox door open to replace a spring that has been missing for at least 15 yrs. Does anyone know how to install it or have pictures of one installed?
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: glovebox door spring

Post by Joe Kriston »

No,but I have to hold the button of mine in and pry it open with a screwdriver....If you or anybody here figures out how to make these darn things work right,please pass along the info...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

You need a bigger spring! :P :D
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

There's a small plastic clip the inserts through the spring and snaps into a hole in the glovebox opening. I'll get some pictures today while at the shop and post them this evening, unless somebody beats me to the punch while I'm gone. ;) However, since you don't have the spring, that probably means you don't have the plastic clip either. PM me your mailing address and I'll send one to you.

Joe: Is your latch assembly sticking or binding? If you've got to pry open the glovebox door it probably means you're having to push in a lot harder on the button, which overrides the spring. You might try cleaning the latch and then working some graphite down into it. It should be a one-finger job to pop the glovebox door.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
studdmstr

Post by studdmstr »

Joe: It is very easy to refurbish the button mechanism. Mine was sticking from dirt and old dried lithium grease. I just removed the button from the door. Once removed there is a small pin that goes through the body of the latch. Drive that pin out gently with a small punch. Then you can really clean the guts of the button and remove all the old gunk and dirt. I believe there is about 2 or 3 part total inside. I lubed the parts with a very light coat of wheel bearing grease and then reassembled the unit in the reverse or that I disassemble it. It is amazing what a difference it made being clean and lubed.

Keith: That is a very generous offer, you have a PM. I already have a new spring, just no way to attach it. Can you also tell me which way the spring attaches. Does the wide end face the door or the dash. I'm assuming that it faces the dash.
studdmstr

Re: re: glovebox door spring

Post by studdmstr »

jor wrote:Here's a photo. The gray buton at the end of the spring is the end of the pin that passes through the spring and snaps into the hole in the dash.
jor
Thanks Jor, that clears up what the clip looks like and which way the spring attaches to the dash. Good deal.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well, I guess even though the question has been answered, I might as well post the pic I took today:

I picked one up today and will get it sent off Monday. :)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
studdmstr

Post by studdmstr »

Both the pics were very helpful. Thanks for taking the time from your project to get me pictures and the part. I really appreciate it! :D
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Thanks,Keith and Studdmstr...I thought myself that opening the glovebox should be a 'one finger job'....like ..er...some other tasks...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!