drill bits

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

michael69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

drill bits

Post by michael69 »

I have not had to buy drill bits in over 10yrs. We had a Jacobs planet in next town that made bits,and a buddy worked there so he passed along the job perks to me. Long story short the plant closed about 2yrs ago and moved over seas. I am getting low on some bits so what is the best brand and types to buy for high speed and low speed drilling. Thanks for any help.
Michael69

'69 Ranger 'F-100 2WD SWB 351W C6 AUTO
1985 CJ 7 jeep w/35s
1967 SS Chevelle 502 4 speed
2003 Heritage softail w/110 cubic inch screamin eagle kit
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: drill bits

Post by woods »

A number of years back, there was some huckster selling drill bits from a booth at the local fair. This guy was drilling through everything with just absolute ease. The head of a hammer, a big file, end wrenches, and anvil, you name it. He wanted like 150 for a full set (big set). I would have bought them on the spot if I thought that this was not some kind of a scam. The next day, I grabbed an old piston pin, put it in my pocket and then bee lined it for him as soon as I got in the gate.
I said, tell you what, no need to drill through it for me, just make the hole that already goes through the center a size bigger. If you do that, I will buy two sets.
He looked nervous, because this had drawn a small crowd. He put it in a vice, chucked up a bit and did nothing more than make a lot of smoke and polish the end of the pin. Which also burned up the bit. I said, "yeah, that's what I thought, you can keep the pin" and walked off. They were making all their props soft before drilling them.
72ford350

Post by 72ford350 »

My uncle was a machinist for 30+ years and he swore that these drills were the best. I have been using his cleveland drills since he passed them on to me after he could not use them any longer. http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/produ ... oryID=7591 this is a site that offered the different kits that i have been using (i did not buy them there). I can say that they are the best drills that I have ever used but i cannot say that they are the overall best due to the fact i am 30 yrs old and have not tried every brand.

Dan
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by woods »

72ford350 wrote:My uncle was a machinist for 30+ years and he swore that these drills were the best. I have been using his cleveland drills since he passed them on to me after he could not use them any longer. http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/produ ... oryID=7591 this is a site that offered the different kits that i have been using (i did not buy them there). I can say that they are the best drills that I have ever used but i cannot say that they are the overall best due to the fact i am 30 yrs old and have not tried every brand.

Dan
Thanks Dan. That is saying something right there. I will have to look into that.

One other thing...While I can't really say what bits to buy, because I am still looking for the "magic drill set" I will say this about the ones I have been buying. Set your drill speed slower, and of course you cutting oil if you can, they will last longer.

Speaking of not being good at sharpening...any of you guys try a drill doctor? Was wondering if they are any good.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

woods wrote:...Speaking of not being good at sharpening...any of you guys try a drill doctor? Was wondering if they are any good.

Here's a thread on the Drill Doctor...> http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 14&t=59602
sillbeer

Post by sillbeer »

I have been thinking about the Drill Dr. for awhile and ran across a thread not long ago. The guy had really good results and I think in the long run it will pay for itself. It's on my list of things to buy. My list is long. :thup:

-Destin
champdog

Post by champdog »

Cheap bits and the Drill DR. The way to go.
68 F-100 LB 360
98 f-250 LT 4x4 SB Just sold it. It was a good truck.
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by woods »

champdog wrote:Cheap bits and the Drill DR. The way to go.
I'm really thinking that's not a bad idea at all.
Ya know, I had some Viking bits a looooong tome ago and I swear they were pretty good, but this new set...not so much. Perhaps I am just drilling harder stuff.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Drilling seems to be more about speed and feed, rigidity of the part and drill as well vs. basic drill sharpness. Drill Dr seemed great for a wood shop but it didn't do anything for the life of the bit, if anything it seemed that it took the temper out if you pushed too hard.

Surprisingly enough I've been having better luck with a belt sander with 240 grit paper on it. As long as the bit wasn't overheated and you take your time it'll sharpen and cut well.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

I think the problem with the drill doctor is it gives people this false sense that you can get sharp bit if you don't know how to sharpen a drill bit. It doesn't really work that way. The DD has it's own set of quirks and needs operated just right to get an acceptable bit. Rarely do you get a nicely sharpened bit from one.

I sharpened by hand with a basic rest on a 6" grinder before I was given an SRD grinder that needed the bit holder and wheel replaced. Ran about $100 in parts and it does a really nice job. I really only sharpen the ones over 3/8 though. I bought 1000 pounds or so of drill bits in a card file at an auction a few years back so it's not a big deal to toss the little fractional guys. Number, letter and cobalt bits don't get tossed though.

If you don't want to learn to sharpen or have poor eyesight send the bits out to a sharpening service.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Drill Doctor works great for me. Been using it for a few years. Long as you follow the directions it does a very good sharpening job.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by woods »

averagef250 wrote:I think the problem with the drill doctor is it gives people this false sense that you can get sharp bit if you don't know how to sharpen a drill bit. It doesn't really work that way. The DD has it's own set of quirks and needs operated just right to get an acceptable bit. Rarely do you get a nicely sharpened bit from one.

I sharpened by hand with a basic rest on a 6" grinder before I was given an SRD grinder that needed the bit holder and wheel replaced. Ran about $100 in parts and it does a really nice job. I really only sharpen the ones over 3/8 though. I bought 1000 pounds or so of drill bits in a card file at an auction a few years back so it's not a big deal to toss the little fractional guys. Number, letter and cobalt bits don't get tossed though.

If you don't want to learn to sharpen or have poor eyesight send the bits out to a sharpening service.
Hey Dustin, when you sharpen them yourself, do they cut every bit as good as they did right out of the box new? My cut good after I sharpen them, just not as good as when they were new. I am clearly doing something wrong.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

woods wrote: Hey Dustin, when you sharpen them yourself, do they cut every bit as good as they did right out of the box new? My cut good after I sharpen them, just not as good as when they were new. I am clearly doing something wrong.
Not always, but in what I do a dull bit gets crammed through the material just as fast as a sharp one. On size and on location are more important to me than spindle load and bits that aren't melted don't usually have a problem doing that in the right machines.

http://www.amazon.com/Machinerys-Handbo ... 0831128003

The machinery handbook is like the bible for this kind of stuff. If a guy knew everything in that book he could take over the world. Having one makes figuring out some of lifes strange mechanical questions really easy a lot of the time. I have one from 1939 that came inside a WWII Gerstner box I bought and it's almost the same exact book still sold today.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by woods »

I think I have that. I have all sorts of old books like that. I was just last week going through one from the 30's on the effects of mechanical vibration.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I use these:

Irwin Cobalt M-42 Metal Index 29 Piece Drill Bit Set - 3018002B

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/irwin-c ... Qgodbjytpg

I bought mine off of Amazon for about $85 a year or so ago. These are flat-out amazing, IMHO. I've never had bits that cut through anything like these things....

I have a Drill Dr., and use it for my 'other' bits....but haven't touched it in a year.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.