Little O/T Probably belongs in wiring. Stereo ground problem

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Little O/T Probably belongs in wiring. Stereo ground problem

Post by rjewkes »

A little O/T, But has any one else noticed the antena acting as ground for a din/mini din cd or cassette stereo?Is this the nornal or is there a plastic/rubber washer for the screws in the base?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Little O/T Probably belongs in wiring. Stereo ground pro

Post by 68F250 »

The shield (outer part of the connector) on the antenna cable is grounded to the fender via the base of the antenna mount. This makes the vehicle the ground plane for the antenna. You should not use the shield as the electrical ground for your stereo, run a separate ground wire for the power.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Little O/T Probably belongs in wiring. Stereo ground pro

Post by mrung0wa »

Yup!

Remember Electricity is based on logic and like Nature you must respect and follow it's somewhat simple and basic rules.
In the case of Direct Current (DC) it flows like a water in a river in one direction and one direction only.
For good sound you must start with a good power source (+) and a good ground (-).

Lawrence :? 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

ok what i meant was i noticed that my radio was grounding without the black/ground wire grounded. As long as my antenna was connected.

Is it supposed to do this? I know with cbs if this happens you burn em out. And get no receptions.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

A ground is a ground is a ground, the radio doesn't care where it comes from. The shield of the antenna cable is grounded at the fender by the antenna mount. Since the shield is connected to ground, it will ground out your radio chassis when you connect the antenna. You don't want to rely on the shield ground to be the radio chassis ground because the shield is not meant to carry current. Always connect the radio ground wire.
:D
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Ok thanks. But what if i happen to have de grounded the antenna base is this bad? I used elec. Tape around the screws so they would not ground to the base.
fuelly.com