How do I remove batteries stuck in Maglite Flashlight?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

socalcraigster

How do I remove batteries stuck in Maglite Flashlight?

Post by socalcraigster »

The batteries inside the flashlight leaked some acid (which has dried) and are now stuck.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get them out?

Will starting fluid and a match do it? :lol:

:help:
1967 Flareside Shortbed Crew
1969 390 Ranger Long Bed

forrestbump
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: How do I remove batteries stuck in Maglite Flashlight?

Post by forrestbump »

Age old solution...WD40! Yup, same stuff used to reseat tires on their beads. Just don't need any flame...

...spray it inside the tube, around the batteries, let it sit and the batteries should come out after a swift strike to them...
1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Sky View Blue, Ranger XLT

1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, A/C, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (again, of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Wimbledon White & Sky View Blue, Ranger (almost twin brothers!)

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do" - Henry Ford

Larry
Swegner99
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Swegner99 »

I believe baking soda (or powder, cant remember which off hand) mixed with water, will do it too. Anything to neutralize that acid. Then turn it upside down and smack the end like a glass ketchup bottle and they will fly right out.
1972 F250 Custom LWB
1999 F150 Ext Cab
2001 E350 15 Passenger Van
Calfdemon
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Calfdemon »

Baking soda with water is a great acid neutralizer.... I remember my dad always using it on our vehicle batteries to clean off the acid that would form at the contacts.
-Rich

Current toys -
69 Ford F350 Crew Cab - 460 / C6 - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... lqgskp.jpg
31 Ford Vicky - 1955 270 Red Ram Hemi / 4 speed - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bsibvn.jpg

Former toys -
67 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible (sold 9/13) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... bird-1.jpg
67 Ford Fairlane GT - 390 / 4 speed (sold 7/15) - http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67 ... c5hu8z.jpg
Donnie
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Donnie »

I bought a 6 cell Maglite from a Baltimore Taxi driver at a flea mkt. last year for $5. bux.
He said that the batteries were in it a long time as he just used it as a club :lol: .
I tried all the chemical treatments that I was aware of, but had to finally chuck it up in the lathe and drill them out,, Then hone the bore with a berry hone...Big hassle for a $40 lite.
But it was the contest: The lite or me....I keep it in my truck & use it often..
I laugh every time I use it, this guy was so funny, the way he described it's position beside him in his cab.............Donnie
Aluminum corrodes easy & fast .........GOOD LUCK ! :clap:
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by woods »

Ya know what, I had the same deal not too long ago. Just hot tap water out of the sink got them out for me.
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

Calfdemon wrote:Baking soda with water is a great acid neutralizer.... I remember my dad always using it on our vehicle batteries to clean off the acid that would form at the contacts.
Hard to find any flashlight batteries any more with acid. About the only thing you can find in a D-cell battery is alkaline.

Baking soda still works well to neutralize it. :thup:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
socalcraigster

Post by socalcraigster »

WD-40 got the 1st battery pretty quickly but not the second, even after a couple of tries.

Then, I tried a little heat with my HF heat gun but no luck. I didn't want to push it.

So now I will try baking soda and water first; and then hot water.

I am not ruling out dynamite.
1967 Flareside Shortbed Crew
1969 390 Ranger Long Bed

Donnie
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Donnie »

It's all relative as to how much "ooze" you are dealing with. In my case I had 4 D's that had decomposed, BIG TIME...........like years???.............Not just a leaking battery..
Sure I could have gone to the store & bought a new lite, buy sometimes you just need the challenge........Donnie
dirtwrench

Post by dirtwrench »

An honest to goodness Mag lite has both ends threaded. Pull both ends and soak it in the baking soda water mix or...

wooden dowel/hammer handle and a hammer? May not work, but think of the stress relief of beating it to death.

I reccommend soaking it before the hammer trick. Also, last I knew, real Mag Lites had a lifetime warranty.
ezernut9mm
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ezernut9mm »

i was gonna say, i thought both ends came off of a mag lite. should easy to push them through.
wanting to buy a mercury tailgate!
"the man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it".- woodrow wilson

ImageImageImage
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 91Bear »

If your flashlight has Rayovac, Energizer or Duracell batteries in it, send it back and they will replace it for free.

http://www.maglite.com/faq_details.asp?faqProd=1AAA
woods
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by woods »

Wow, that's good to know, thanks.
hotrodder40

Post by hotrodder40 »

I believe Mag lights are warrantied forever. Contact the company, seal it up good so it doesn't leak and send it back. Mag light will either repair or replace it.
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Kurt Combs »

Run hot water on it and smack it straight on a piece of wood or soft plastic. I got some really stuck batteries out of mine, but I was worried I would ruin the end that the cap screws on. It all came out just fine, but don't expect new style batteries to go dead before they leak, or you will be in for a bad surprise (voice of experience).
Kurt
1972 F-250