1967 Crew Cab and a 08 Grand Marquis IFS SWAP

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

The Big Bear

1967 Crew Cab and a 08 Grand Marquis IFS SWAP

Post by The Big Bear »

Well, after some deliberation I have decided to go for it and I will see how this goes with posting about a project on a forum site. I have gotten so much great information from this site I felt I might be able to share some of my discoveries as I go and save someone some time or money on their project. I have a new project; a one owner 1967 Crew Cab that came from LA originally. Has the usual issues, some rust in the floor boards, not too bad. Major rust around the Roof drip Edge, not sure how I am going to attack that yet. So when I picked it up it was running but had sat in a church parking lot for the last ten years and had been only started every Sunday? As usual with me a small teardown turned into a complete body off the frame restoration. I have already removed the Utility bed and it has gone to the dump, I dropped the old Dana Axle and cleared over $250.00 bucks for all of the metal. After pulling the so called "Original 352" and tearing it down to discover a amazing collection of various year parts from crank to rods during the rebuild in the past I then started to research the FE dilema and I decided to skip the "ALL ORIGINAL" restoration and head in the complete opposite direction towards a full custom. After finding all of the links and builds with the CV Swaps at this site I decided to go that direction. I am located in San Diego and I have already done the Desert Pre-Runner look with several vehicles (VW, Ford, Toyota). I decided I wanted a daily driver street runner with a short bed. I picked up a 2008 entire front clip and rear end from a Grand Marquis for only a grand. The car had been rear ended and had low milage. I got all the wiring looms and the PCM So at this point I have around 1800 bucks in it; motor, front end, wheels, tires, rear axle and four discs all the way around. I am at the point where I am about to roll the front clip under the rails and set the rear end. I just started to take photos today so I will need to learn how to post on the site. In a few days I should have it figured out so please be patient with me when it comes to the photos. Well that is a start about my new project so I am going to try to figure out now how to ad some photos or do a spell check on my posts. I am a terrible speller.
Be grateful for every day :fr:
The Big Bear

Re: 1967 Crew Cab and a 08 Grand Marquis IFS SWAP

Post by The Big Bear »

This is a test to see if I am doing this right for posting the photos, Image<

Well that did not work?

I get it now I just have to attach them but I made all of them too bug when Isent them from my phone.

Okay I think I have it figured out now, I have to re-size all of the photos to get them to post. Too much work for tonight I will play with them tommorow. This is a shot of the front clip and the start of the process, i had just dropped the Transmission crossmember and set the tranny on a dolly. The other photos will show how I removed the Frame rails tommorow.

Mod fixed, just link the .jpg file, not the html text. Edit this post to see what it looks like. - Ranchero50
Image<
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jrreed1634

Post by jrreed1634 »

Just FYI you can also use the Img tag in the reply toolbar. Just copy that link to where the image is hosted (flickr) in between the start and end image tag and that way you don't have to attach every image.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Thanks guys, I am going to give it try again now.

First thing I did was remove the top bolts on the fram rails.
6541701303_4aa0402e1c.jpg
Then I removed the plate by taking the side bolts out as well.

I broke the long bolts loose with a breaker bar then ran them out with my impact driver.
6541706803_fd89a24437.jpg
Really long bolts.
6541707857_35261829a1.jpg

Okay the attachment process was easier but I just found out I can only attach three photos, so back to trying to figure out how to attach the photos from my flicker account. I tried the IMG tab but it did not work in my first post.
The other issue is when I down loaded the photos from my IPhone they downloaded them at the original size so next time I download them I need to make them smaller? Or can they stay the same size as the original size if it is just from the Flickr account?

Can I still preview the post if I attach with the IMG tab?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jrreed1634

Post by jrreed1634 »

Here are the instructions for using the image tag.

http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=22303

On your earlier post it looks like you entered more information between the tags than needed. Some sites use embed photo and it looks like that is maybe what you copied. You want to just get the link to the picture only. You can usually do this by clicking on the image and then copying the link in the top of the browser. When using a Mac you can right click on an image in your browser and click copy image location. Not sure off the top of my head what it is for Windows.

Then take just that image location and put it between the images tags. I use Google images but I know a lot of people here use Flickr.

You still need to get the images under 800 pixels though. This will have to be done after you get them off of your phone usually by an imaging editing software or Flickr might have an option to upload as a certain aspect ratio. In Preview on a Mac you can batch select a group of images and change the size of them all at once.

Hopefully that helps.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Here is your first attempt with the syntax corrected. The only portion of all that you had listed that is needed is "http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7012/6541 ... f3b6_z.jpg" without the double quotes between the img tags.

You will find taking the spacers out of the CV frame will prove very helpful when it comes time to install.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Thanks guys, I am working on getting the holes lined up with a template before I start drilling. Back to work lunch is over.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Looks like a real neat project. :thup:
Maybe the first here on the site to do the IFS swap to a crew though? :hmm:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

That is what I am hoping, I have seen a whole bunch of Crews lifted, 4X4 or even Pre-Runner style. I wanted something different everyone is doing the chevy's and you see a few fords now and then but I am a die hard Ford man for my whole life. The only thing I did not know was that the 67 was a one year model on a few things for badging and interior plus it's a F250 and a crew cab. I am even looking at some flared fenders for the front---who knows at this point.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

I found something for sale on the Internet last night and so I got up this morning at 3:30 am grabbed my 8 year old son and said let's go on a road trip. We drove straight through with only two stops to my secret "NEW Friends" junkyard lot and handed him $350 and I had a clean rust free, damn near perfect Complete Short Bed sitting on my trailer for my Crew. Thank god I only took what I needed in cash for the bed I was drooling looking at all the parts he had sitting in the dry location. dragging myself away from his lot I grabbed my son and I jumped back on the 15 and headed for home, I had him on "Trooper Watch!"; for those who live on the west coast and have made the drive from San Diego to Vegas I made it back home by 3:30!! No tickets either!. My wife has a new 2011 Ford Raptor which I never get to drive and all I can say is it is insane, I put the tranny into the Tow Mode and cruised at 80 the whole way there and back, well maybe a few times outside of Barstow headed towards Death Valley I hit 90---oops I am giving too much information about my new old Ford Parts Rust free location. I am so stoked, things are going great. After Christmas I plan on setting the Grand Marq front end and seeing how she sits now that I have the Short bed. I can't wait! I sound like my eight year old, Christmas came early for me today.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

The Big Bear wrote:I found something for sale on the Internet last night and so I got up this morning at 3:30 am grabbed my 8 year old son and said let's go on a road trip. We drove straight through with only two stops to my secret "NEW Friends" junkyard lot and handed him $350 and I had a clean rust free, damn near perfect Complete Short Bed sitting on my trailer for my Crew. Thank god I only took what I needed in cash for the bed I was drooling looking at all the parts he had sitting in the dry location. dragging myself away from his lot I grabbed my son and I jumped back on the 15 and headed for home, I had him on "Trooper Watch!"; for those who live on the west coast and have made the drive from San Diego to Vegas I made it back home by 3:30!! No tickets either!. My wife has a new 2011 Ford Raptor which I never get to drive and all I can say is it is insane, I put the tranny into the Tow Mode and cruised at 80 the whole way there and back, well maybe a few times outside of Barstow headed towards Death Valley I hit 90---oops I am giving too much information about my new old Ford Parts Rust free location. I am so stoked, things are going great. After Christmas I plan on setting the Grand Marq front end and seeing how she sits now that I have the Short bed. I can't wait! I sound like my eight year old, Christmas came early for me today.
Is that friend's name Riff? If not you were real close to my source for parts.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

You know your one of the reasons I pulled the trigger on this project----and decided to go with the short bed. I was going to go all original and with the Utility bed but saw a photo with you standing beside your truck and I just loved the low look. In San Diego because of the desert everyone goes 4X4 or pre-runner and they are everywhere. I like my things to be different. Still his name was not Riff unless he gave me or you a alias. I missed a really clean hood by one day!!! He showed it to me to make me even sicker. Not a drop of rust anywhere and dent free. ARGH!! Better yet, next time you talk to him ask him if he has or had a Clean International Crew Cab he sold that is being shipped to one lucky new owner somewhere in the USA? I am not a International man but that thing was all original and looked clean as well. if he had the International then we are talking the same guy. I am not telling anyone where this guy is until I finish my project or every money hungry guy in Cali will be going out there to clear out his stash and sell the stuff on ebay or craigs list. The guy was really fair on his prices and was not trying to ripp someone off, he was just doing what he enjoyed. Too many guys in Cali have way too much money and would take advantage of the guy. I am a transplant from North Georgia and I got my money the old fashioned way----remember that old commercial back in the 80's?? I MARRIED IT after I got out of the Marines at Camp Pendleton!!!! HE He He.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Riff is in Pahrump just west of Vegas. His partner is Doug. I too worry when giving out his info that someone will clean out "my" stash. I pass his info on anyway. He is a great guy. I know what you mean with the 4x4 thing. The last woman I dated wanted me to lift my truck. When looking through pics of trucks the funny part was she always picked out the lowered trucks as the ones she liked. Didn't matter I had my plan & 4x4 wasn't part of it. Well unless you count the truck I use to haul parts for the '70. Knowing I helped in you making your decision makes it all worth it to me. Trying to remember to take pics and then posting info and the such. I also did time at Pendleton, 1979-1985.
Last edited by elgemcdlf on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Yeah your right it's not "MY" stash ----Pahrump is the location and Riff is the guy. He has a nice collection of things and he puts alot of it on ebay so everyone has access. Cheaper for me based on it's close enough to drive to and not have to pay the shipping cost. Ha, I filled your slot when you got out I came in 1985 to 1991. The picture thing is new to me and I am trying to get a system down where I just snap photos with my I-phone I think might help as I work. First try I transfered them at the wrong size and I am too lazy to go back with some software program to edit them. I will get it, just trial and error.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Well he is a great guy. Doug is the one that does any internet related things. Riff can't do computer screens for very long a all. He is a wealth of answers when it comes to Ford trucks. I am confident you know by now he also gets his hands on crew cabs pretty regularly so rear doors if need be shouldn't be too rough to find. As you found out his prices are great as well. Without even seeing it I am confident the bed you got is very pretty.