Building a Bumpside trailer.

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Building a Bumpside trailer.

Post by hdpusher »

Has anyone made a trailer using a old truck frame and bed?? I am looking to make one from my 72 F100 parts truck. I would like to use it to make a matching trailer to tow behind my 68 F100. I've made several trailers in the past just never one from a truck frame. I had a few questions and would like to find someone who has done it successfully.

Any tips or tricks involved?
How much of the frame do you use?
Where do you notch and bend the frame?
Good / bad towing experiences?
GVW on the trailer?
Keep the 9" rear or swap out for a trailer axle?
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
dirtwrench

Re: Building a Bumpside trailer.

Post by dirtwrench »

Many years back, there were a lot of old trucks killed to make box trailers here in Iowa. We did 4 of them ourselves in the mid to late 80's. If memory is correct, we cut the frame right at the radius arm rear bracket. The notch/bend started just ahead of the rear cab mount. We used 2" ball hitches on a couple and standard "farmer tech" flat and channel iron for hitch pin hook up on the other two. All 4 kept the 9" rearend- just pull the driveshaft ubolts, cut the brake and e brake lines. We did check rear end tags and collected 1 nice limited slip 3.89:1 set of gears that "accidentally" found it's way into some one's car. All 4 trailers seemed to trail ok, but were never used above 50-55mph anyway. Usually they were drug around in the 0-35mph range.

Looking back, I am almost ashamed to post this. All 4 of those trucks probably could have been saved. If I had it to do all over, I would never have lit the torch. Now, if you were talking about cutting up an old truck that wears a bowtie my opinion would be diferent.
hdpusher
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by hdpusher »

Thanks for the info dirtwrench.
The 72 plan on using has alot of good useable parts I plan on saving. The rest of it is another story. The way Im looking at it if I dont use the frame and bed to make a trailer it will prob sit in the field and rust. So why not make a cool tow behind.
Once started Ill prob do a post on it that is if any one is interested.
67 Chevy II 302 sbc
67 Ford F350 Motor home
68 Ford F100 long bed (Sold :cry: )
78 CJ5
03 Dodge Cummins
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Way older than a Bump, but pulls good. I am redoing the railings, and ect. Will post a update pic when done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8