Mild 1971 prerunner (quite a few pictures)

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Mild 1971 prerunner (quite a few pictures)

Post by mybros71 »

I'm going to begin to document the work my daughter and I are doing to her 1971 F-100 short bed. She originally wanted her truck to remain stock height but got the bug to lify it after seeing a few prerunners at Pismo. I'm nt trying to hi-jack Philofab's build, and I think when they're done, these trucks will be different in a lot of ways.

I sold this:
To allow us:
To transform this:
Into something like this:
(Credit to whoever owns this truck, I think Bro-Dozer, its awesome, plus I snatched it from Philofab's thread 'cause we have the same taste.)

We made the trip to Santee California to visit John at Autofab and purchase a 5 inch front suspension lift kit. As pictured below, the kit consists of a new adjustable right side tie rod, F600 coils, correctly bent beams, extended radius arms, new radius arm pivots, crossmember ties, associated hardware and all new bushings. It also comes with access to Johns hard-won wealth of experience and knowledge. When you purchase the kit, you have to exchange beams and radius arms. The price of the kit was very reasonable and the people at Autofab are very easy to work with.

Here's the kit:

You have to remove your factory radius arm pivots and replace them with these ties (be sure to look at your factory radius arm pivots as there are two different styles, either two bolt, or one bolt attaching the pivot to the bell housing crossmember.):

You also have to remove the factory bumpstops because of the larger coils. I wanted to replace them with some heavier duty type anyway. After installing the nuw re-aligned pivot brackets, you can then reassemble your front suspension using the extended arms and bent beams. I replaced the kingpins and bushings as well as bearings and rotors while I was there. I have a picture of my Daughter hand packing the wheel bearings. She looked like she had just finished field dressing a pig with a broken beer bottle.

I destroyed the original radius arm/beam clamp bolts during disassembly (I got lazy and cut the heads off with a torch.) Don't do this. The original bolts have extra long threads and I could not find them anywhwere I looked. I found some I could use at an old industrial supply house but I still needed to put a washer on the bottom to make sure I got a good clamp on the beam while still having enough thread to securely hold the spring seat and maintain the lock.

Cycles great and the geometry seems right on. Be sure to follow the instructions about alignment procedure. Again, John is the Obi-Wan Kenobi of twin I beam in my opinion.

I bought these at the Ford dealership to use to build my shock mounts. I may not use them because Autofab makes some pretty bitchin spring buckets and shock towers for these trucks.

I made these to replace the siezed and rusty factory straps I twisted, broke, pryed and bled to remove:

I'm starting on the rear suspension now.
2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
1962 Comet Custom (Wife's)
1971 F100 2wd Prerunner Project (Daughter's)
1971 F250 4wd "The Beast" (Son's)
2007 Toyota Tundra 4wd. (Credit Union's)
Seriously, the best truck I've ever owned, without exception.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Mild 1971 prerunner (quite a few pictures)

Post by basketcase0302 »

Awesome start to a build. Real nice to see a young lady into our trucks, she gonna race it? Is there still such a thing as a "powder puff" class? :lol:
The graveyard sells the coil spring straps new for around $5. :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mybros71 »

I don't think she wants to race, but maybe. I think she wants a good looking truck she can use at the dunes or go with us to the desert. If she did want to race, that would be cool...and spendy.
2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mybros71 »

I'm stalled on the front end until I get the grit to buy shocks.

I started work on the rear end. I'm using 64 inch rear springs which have been re-arched using the 1971ford method. I used a regular old pipe bender and some patience. In about 1 hour I was able to get about 7-1/2 inches of lift out of these springs. I measured the mid-ordinate of each of the spring packs laying upside-down on the floor and then took them apart. I measured each leaf the same way and took good notes. I then marked each spring at 4 inch increments so I could index them as I bent, this way, I could keep the bend smooth and even. I made four or five passes at eack leaf, placing a witness mark on the jack and labeling it so I could reference it in my notes. I started bending each spring at the front so any deviation caused by switching to the other end would at least be even between the left and right spring pack. Once I felt comfortable that I had as much lift as I wanted, I reassembled the re-arched spring and took measurements. I made sure that each leaf placed even pressure on the one above it. I then took the pack back apart and bent the other side per my notes and fine adjusted each leaf to match the coresponding leaf on the other side. When all the springs matched, I reassembled both sides and compared the mid-ordinate of each side. They came out to within an 1/8 of an inch on the first pass. I was pretty stoked that it was that easy. I'll likely have to do this again when I get the front completed and sitting on the ground. Looked kinda like this, except mine is the 50 dollar Harbor Freight variety:

The 64 inch springs are 3 inches wide at the eye bushings vs. the 2-3/4 inch wide original so the original hangers won't work as is. It was either modify the originals by cutting the outside flange off and adding a new one or build complete new hangers. The drawback of modifying the old ones is they would be an 1/8" to wide from left to right and cause the springs to be bound slightly, pushing the eyes outward in relation to the pads on the axle housing. I took some measurements and designed these:

By buddy got his new Torchmate running just in time to cut 'em out for me and I put them together:

I used some lowering shackles I had for a dually along with some polyureathane bushings I had for my Scout and the rear hangers are done. I have to adjust the front hangers for proper wheel-base and cycle the suspension to locate the rear hangers. I've read that at ride height with the vehicle's weight on the suspension, you want the shackle to be perpendicular to the spring. This is how I will locate the rear hangers.

I was advised by John at Autofab not to do this setup because of the potential for axle wrap, but I plan on really taking my time to design and build a good set of traction bars with proper pivot points so as not to bind the springs. If it doesn't work, I'll buy a set of Deavers or Alcans and buy John's traction bars. I'm dumb that way. I got the springs for free and the steel cost me about 50 bucks. WTH
2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Wow, they turned out really nice, something to be proud of.

I wonder if there's a market for them?

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mybros71 »

Thanks. I'm real happy with them but I would make a few changes if i had it to do over again. 3/16" in stead of 1/4" and a wider pad for the rears. As far as a market, who knows. They'd be easy enough to duplicate if someone were interested.
2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

:pop:
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
Fordnatic
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordnatic »

Nice Work!!
70F100: 410 Merc with tri-power, close ratio toploader, 4.56 detroit locker 9"
68F100 4x4: 390, 4 spd/NP 205, Rancho 4" urethane susp, 35x12.50 All Terrain T/A's
55F100
01F150 Daily Driver: TP tunes, AF1 intake, elec fans, Magnaflow exh, underdrive pulleys, Centerlines
mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mybros71 »

Got the front and rear mocked up. Before and after shots:Image

I think I'm going to see how it looks with 33" tires and all the sheet metal installed. Then I'll decide about the taller spring buckets. I think she's going to sit too high. If I do the spring buckets, I'll put the rear axle over the spring and give 'em some more arch.

My son says it has a little "Redneck lean" I don't know what that is, but I like it.

I'm still looking for some advise on the front bump stops.
2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

Nice looking project! im looking forward to following this one.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mybros71 »

We made some progress on the build this last week. We cleaned and painted the rear half of the frame and removed the stock shock mounts. Before and after shots:

I also removed the rear cross member in preparation for a Mustang tank install and stiffening for the relocated rear spring hangers. We painted the hangers and installed the fronts. The rears will be installed after the front end is done and we can cycle the rear to find the best location. I feel like the best location is one that will place the shackle at 90 degrees to a line stretched between the spring eyes. I don't know though, I want to cycle it first. We are going to take the cab off this weekend and remove the engine transmission. I think I'm going to put a 400M and C-6 back in but I'm not sure. Might just seal and clean the 360 and c-6 in it now. It runs very well and has enough power for now.

We got these tabs from Autofab to add a dual shock setup to the front. I'm going to use the stock coil buckets for now. I don't want to use the F250 towers and have to cut 'em off when we want to upgrade to the taller Autofab buckets down the road. The left and right buckets are interchangable so you can put a shock in front and rear of the beams, by adding these tabs. 20.00 bucks is pretty cheap. This 11/16" 1/2 inch socket is 1.525" long and makes a perfect spacer for welding the tabs to the beam while keeping them aligned.
2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mybros71 »

My daughter bought these parts for the build:

She got the 10 foot sticks of 2.5" tubing for 25 bucks each and the mufflers for 27.95 a peice. Pretty good prices I thought. The mufflers were marked wrong on the shelf and O'rielly honored the price. The tubing was just on sale. The offsets were 28 bucks or so from Summit Racing and will bolt up to the Hedman Headers we put on last summer.

The bumpstops she got from a local truck accessory store and Amazon. We're going to put the rears in the factory location and build some stands for the fronts. Again, once we cycle the suspension.
2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mybros71 »

We got the shock tabs located and welded to the beams:

Going to pull the cab off in the morning and mock uo the exhaust, at least back to the mufflers.

By the way, here is the hoopty my wife drug home:

Possible paint scheme:
2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
mybros71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mybros71 »

Went ahead and removed the cab and installed the beginning of the exhaust.
cleaned the trans and re-sealed and flushed
Received the items to replace the fuel tank, a la BobbyFord
2006 Mustang GT (Wife's)
CrypticRacer13
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by CrypticRacer13 »

Looks great man keep it up ill be watching this thread for sure
-Mike-
ECV 1849
Build>http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 22&t=68225
69' F250 Highboy 390ci.,NP435,Dana 24,HPD44,D60
67' Dodge Coronet R/T 440ci.4speed,D60, all numbers correct
72' Dodge Dart 440ci.727,D60,10ptcage street strip on meth 10.40s
05' Chevy Tahoe LT loaded for the wife an the baby duty
12' Ford Focus Titanium Hatch Back, Gas saver for the work week