Cab Lighting Wiring

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
cavedweller

Cab Lighting Wiring

Post by cavedweller »

OK I got thos eagle clerance lights in. Now for the big question can I run a common positive lead to them and ground the negitive side of each to the cab. Then run a negitive lead from the switch to the cab and expect it to work. I figured the positive side I could run to the fuse box or make a hot lead to one of the batteries then to the lights or run up and tie into one of the parking lights or that side of the light switch. Open for suggestions before I start drilling.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

there is a factory plug on the wiring harness that the power wire hooks to behind the dash. it's a male plug.
the lights are individually grounded at the base of each light.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Cab Lighting Wiring

Post by hardtailjohn »

Most of what you're saying makes sense... run a common positive lead for all lights, ground them to the cab, but place the switch between the fuse and the lights on the positive lead and you'll be fine. It's best to have a switch on the positive lead always, as you don't want to have to rely on the fuse to shut off power to them if there's a short.
John H.
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

When all else fails, check the wiring diagram: ;)

http://www.fordification.com/images/sch ... lights.jpg
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

Yea, actually the whole truck is always grounded so if you hooked it up that way they would always be on--so-like John said, you need a hot switch.
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I hooked min into The tail lights, And have pulled a trailer three times with it and have had no ill effects.

However if you truelly have worries about this put a relay in tyhe system before the extra/marker lamps.

So if you run them from the tail lamps the brown wire going to the back of the truck.

i would suggest getting the correct guage primary wire. keep it simple brown to brown And Get a relay. wire the relay main in into the relay. Ground the relay to the body or frame(I lean towards body). Then wire the new lamps out of the relay back up into the cab.

Word to the wise remove the headliner but be gentle with it.

If the law will allow it run the outer two lamps as turn signals also off of relays. IIRC only the inner three have to light up at all times. With the running lights/headlights on. And alternately if you can find a signal spitting device you could try to wire the outer to be on at all times until you flip the turn sig on the correct light flashes. But is safely interupted by the the seperator.

or just get as advanced/custom with it as you feel confortably safe. And or as the law will allow. And have fun and enjoy your finished project.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
cavedweller

Post by cavedweller »

Well that gives me a few ideas ................ Yep I did print out the wiring diagram thanks Kieth didn't know it was there. I think I am going to have to try the turn signal thing that would be cool...................I wish customers would quit coming in so I wouldn't have to edit so many times :D