Starting tools and workshop equipment

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Starting tools and workshop equipment

Post by averagef250 »

I'd say buy the things you need and don't buy things you don't need. Learn to tell the difference between consumer grade junk and industrial quality tools and equipment. Sometimes the junk is fine for the job, but other times it's a big hassle.

I have a decent assortment of tools, nothing spectacular, but probably 20K in mechanics hand tools if you had to go out and buy them new. I doubt I have more than a few thousand invested in that stuff. I bought a few "lots" of tools over the years, a couple large boxes filled with someone elses lifetime collection.

If you find yourself heading in the direction of making a career out of using your hands or being an entrepreneur you'll find certain tools will have to be the best you can afford and you may even need backups to prevent downtime.

If it's going to stay a hobby buy what you need and be a good friend to someone who has lots of tools.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
vonburger

Re: Starting tools and workshop equipment

Post by vonburger »

averagef250 wrote:If it's going to stay a hobby buy what you need and be a good friend to someone who has lots of tools.
I have seriously thought about making a career of mechanics, but it am too young to be making any of those decisions yet. I have a pretty good collection of tools. sockets wrenches vise grips and pliars. Very few power tools though, Only a disk grinder. The rest are in storage which i do not have access too.
'71 Ford f100 Ranger 2WD 302 V8