Starting tools and workshop equipment

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

vonburger

Starting tools and workshop equipment

Post by vonburger »

This is my first post on this site and i was wondering what you guys would suggest as important restoration tools. I am restoring a '71 ford f100 240 CID anything specific that would come in handy for this truck?
'71 Ford f100 Ranger 2WD 302 V8
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Starting tools and workshop equipment

Post by Kurt Combs »

:wel: from northern California!

I think you need to be more specific with your question. I would suggest a two stage compressor with at least 5 hp and a paint booth. Is that the level of suggestions you want or would it be more like hand tools?
Kurt
1972 F-250
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

when i started my re-stow on my 69 i ended up buying plenty of items to work with. Being a experienced wood crafter i had nothing to work on a vehicle with besides the regular hand tools. I guess it depends how for you will take this project. I purchased a welder for metal replacement, sand blaster for ease of cleaning,angle grinder and plenty of cut off wheels, small die grinder and roloc sanding disc to go with it. the air compressor i already had. Propane torch for stuck bolts and nuts. I think the sand blaster is my best friend right now. I'm sure the guys on here will fill in what i left out. Good luck with your project.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good day Vonburger,

I agree with Kurt and Jimmy's suggestions.

You can really go crazy acquiring tools and equipment to fix up a Bumpside, but aside from quality hand-tools, having a quality air compressor's pretty important. Air-powered impact wrenches are very handy for tear-down, and then you'd use the compressor for a rotary tool with a cut-off wheel, a sandblaster, and ultimately-some-day an HVLP paint gun. Even just being able to blow things out with plenty of compressed air's a big help.

For better advice, answers to these questions might be telling:
  • What tools and equipment do you already have?
  • How about facilities--are you working outdoors, or in a garage? What's the floor surface like--level and stable?
  • What's your budget?
  • What's your current experience level (kinda already answered this one)?
  • Do you plan on working on other vehicles also, after you've finished your Bumpside?
  • What's your desired end-result for this truck?
  • Do you plan on doing most of the mechanical work yourself?
  • Do you plan on doing most of the body work yourself?
  • Will you be working on the truck close to other people (such as neighbors)? How much noise can they tolerate?
  • Do you have a strong preference for USA-made tools and equipment?
Note that Bumpsides tend not to have finish-lines for most of us; it tends to be more of an ongoing hobby than an insular, "started in 2012 and finished in 2014" type of activity.

Robroy
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

A good compressor that'll put out at least 15cfm @ 90psi. A portable sand blaster or blasting cabinet. Good set of air impact wrenches and sockets, up to and including 1-3/16" socket. High speed sander and orbital sander. Torque wrench. Hack Saw. Paint booth. Cherry picker (at least a 1.5 ton). Good set of adjustable jack stands. Complete set of combination wrenches, screwdrivers, 1/2-3/8-1/4 socket set. Full set of screwdrivers. Vise grips, channel locks and wire cutters/strippers. Crescent wrenches, large and small. Bench grinder and bench vise. Body hammer and dent puller set.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
vonburger

Post by vonburger »

Kurt Combs wrote::wel: from northern California!

I think you need to be more specific with your question. I would suggest a two stage compressor with at least 5 hp and a paint booth. Is that the level of suggestions you want or would it be more like hand tools?
Sorry. First post i was afraid of being to specific. What tools for the compressor would be useful? The paint booth is definitely beyond my price range though. Thanks for the help.
vonburger

Post by vonburger »

Thanks for the response guys. My next shopping list is gonna be a long one. lol.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Let me add a couple more. Dead blow hammer (at least 2-3 lb) and ball peen hammer (at least 20 oz) Check out my build thread, page 8, for a paint booth. Since I got the exhaust fan for free, it only cost me around $200 to build it. Air compressor tools: 1/2" impact with sockets, air hammer/chisel, cutoff tool to start. Add air ratchet and gravity feed paint gun later. Don't forget a pressure regulator and drier/filter for the compressor. You can go cheap on some of the hand tools but don't on things like wrenches and ratchet/socket sets, buy quality and you won't regret it.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
vonburger

Post by vonburger »

sargentrs wrote:Let me add a couple more. Dead blow hammer (at least 2-3 lb) and ball peen hammer (at least 20 oz) Check out my build thread, page 8, for a paint booth. Since I got the exhaust fan for free, it only cost me around $200 to build it. Air compressor tools: 1/2" impact with sockets, air hammer/chisel, cutoff tool to start. Add air ratchet and gravity feed paint gun later. Don't forget a pressure regulator and drier/filter for the compressor. You can go cheap on some of the hand tools but don't on things like wrenches and ratchet/socket sets, buy quality and you won't regret it.
Thanks again for the help. Any brand you prefer for the Compressor, impact wrench, and the like?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Depending on how much you have to spend, I like Husky and Campbell Hausfeld for compressors and air tools. Husky's available at most Home Depot stores and Campbell Hausfeld at your local Walmart. CH is usually a little cheaper than Husky and both are quality equipment. I also have numerous Harbor Freight cheap-o tools that have performed well for me. My rule of thumb is... If you're going to be using it often and for a long time, buy name brand. If it's a need it but may never use it again, buy cheap if you can't borrow/rent it. I've got a 21 gallon Harbor Freight air compressor that I've had for years. I keep it set for paint spraying. Bought one that fried in a year, they replaced it immediately with a new one, and it's been running fine for 4 years. I paid $130 for it, on sale. The equivalent CH or Husky is more like $300-$500.
Randy
Bob
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bob »

vonburger wrote:This is my first post on this site and i was wondering what you guys would suggest as important restoration tools. I am restoring a '71 ford f100 240 CID anything specific that would come in handy for this truck?
Hi and welcome...!!

The one thing that pops to my mind as the thing that comes in handy the most is .... $$ money $$... !! (joking... sort of...)

I wouldn't get all worked up about going on a tool shopping spree... although if you have the extra cabbage anyway it would indeed be a fun trip...! You might be better off buying things as the requirement for them comes up. Just do yourself a favor and when you do find the need for a tool, don't be tempted by a low price for junk. Also consider used for some things. All tools that get used are used tools... think about it...

Especially when it comes to things like the larger heavy tools or unique rarely used tools, you might want to look for gently used. I've bought a lot of new and quite a few used and can't tell the difference between them other than I still had some cabbage in my pocket after the used buys.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:yt: I've gotten some great tools at yard sales and thrift stores. I recently picked up this awesome chisel/punch set for $20. Things gotta be 50 years old with a hard plastic case, interchangeable tools, a rubber handle and solid steel hammering knob on the end. A little time spent on a bench grinder with a wire wheel and some WD40 and it looks and works like new. Got my 22V, 5hp, belt drive, 60gal air compressor free from a friend for free. Tank was all rusted out and wouldn't hold air. Found a Husky 80 tank on craigslist from a guy with a 3 yr old compressor that had thrown a rod for $100. A little time spent with a cutoff wheel getting the mounting plate off of the free one, drilled a few holes and bolted it right to the top of the Husky tank. Deals are out there!
Randy
Bob
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bob »

I just got a $1,200 adjustable reamer for about 4-1/4" to a little under 5" diameters and the arbor for repairs on a bearing bore on my tractor for $140.oo delivered... Woooo Hoooo...!!! It's in great shape with good blades too...!!

Love the good deals...!!
basshound71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by basshound71 »

And when you buy all of these things you are more than welcome to store them in my shed for free as long I can play with them too :D :D :D :D :D :D
1971 Ford F100
2007 Chevy Avalanche
vonburger

Post by vonburger »

basshound71 wrote:And when you buy all of these things you are more than welcome to store them in my shed for free as long I can play with them too :D :D :D :D :D :D
YOu help me pay for the toys and you can use them all you want :lol: