Getting a lathe

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Getting a lathe

Post by flyboy71 »

Im picking up this Lathe sometime this week. Went to check it out and he has a boatload of stuff to go with it. From what I can tell looking at it and his shop he maintained everything he had very well. My logistical challenge now is figuring out how to lift it off the back of my truck once its home. :doh:

This is an 11 X 24 Rockwell/Delta Metal LatheModel #25-100 that I've owned for at least 20 years. It includes 6" 3-Jaw Bison Chuck, 8" 4-Jaw Roam chuck, 10 Aloris quick change bit holders, including knurling tool. Live ball bearing center, two key chucks for smaller bits, Morse bit taper adapters along with Aloris MT holders. Includes all the bar stock, carbide cutters and indexable carbide cutters that I have. It's powered by a low time 1.5 HP Baldor DC Variable Speed (VS) motor that operates on single phase 220 Volt AC through a Baldor DC Motor controller that has VS output, brake and reverse. I have to add this....NO SHIPPING...NO SCAM artist..Call me for an appointment to inspect/test run it. I accept CASH for payment and have access to skid loader for loading..might need some help getting it out of the shop. Have additional photos or can take other of specific areas of interest..thank you for looking. Will also have a 20" Rockwell drill press listed also. For more photos, click on this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stump_grum ... 0276/show/
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
71PA_Highboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Getting a lathe

Post by 71PA_Highboy »

I am jealous....

good luck getting off the truck... be safe and don't hurt it, or you!
Got Ford?
2 EarlyBroncos (68,69)
2 Classic Mustangs (69,70)
1 F250 4x4 (71) - OB - 360, NP435, D24, HPD60 4.10, D60,
1 94 Ranger, 2.3, 5spd
1 Lincoln Mark VIII
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Im waiting on pics or more info but if I understood his email it sounds like he took the lathe off the base. That would make it a lot less top heavy and I can use the cherry picker to get it off the truck easier. Should get it Friday or Saturday which is fine because if I cant unload it in an evening Ill be trucking it to work the next day.
-Jeff

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Getting a lathe (Load 1)

Post by flyboy71 »

I went to check out how its prepped and he has it bolted to two long planks. The way its setup it makes it much wider at the base for some stability. I still need to get it off the truck. Nice thing is now I can get it up on some dollies to at least wheel it around till I get it where I want it. He started digging out a bunch of stuff for me to bring home awhile. He said theres a lot more hes gotta dig out but what I could still see is at least twice this much. Ill get the lathe this weekend and the rest of the stock and tools on trip #3. Whew!

-Jeff

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Nice looking little guy! I thought Rockwell was just woodworking stuff, didn't realize they made a metal lathe- It looks a lot beefier than the 10" SB I started with. You didn't say what you gave for it, but those Aloris pieces and chucks are worth a couple grand. Buying somebody elses lifetime collection is the best way to jump right in. If the owner was a real machinist I'm sure you'll find all kinds of small tools and fixtures in those boxes. Try to remember what and where those things are- If you do a lot of machinework you'll figure out what all that stuff is in time.

RE: Lifting it outa the truck. I'm sure it won't take much, that guy can't weigh more than thou or so, but if you do this stuff regularly GET A FORKLIFT! I can't express into words how stupid I feel for not buying one sooner. Little ones are cheap, take up less room than cherry pickers and can do things absolutely nothing else can do.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

I ended up getting the whole kit and kaboodle for $2k. That includes all the Aloris pieces, a ton of carbide bits, drills, gauges, tools. There are boxes I havent even really gone through yet. I ended up with two truck loads of tools and raw stock he had plus one trip with the lathe itself. He loaded it on my truck with a skid loader and that went smooth. My little Ford Ranger hardly budged when he set it on so weight wasnt a factor. Unloading it wasnt terrible. We set two thick oak planks and I screwed them to the floor and we used pipe under it to roll and slide it down. It was sweet he mounted the wood on the bottom or this thing would have been impossible to move. Now I just need electric to it and I can be a machining fool.

-Jeff

averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

You got a deal there! That thing is pretty neat looking, looks like it has a shrunk down little L style spindle taper.

Go make some chips!
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70