Sketched a long bed with some big wheels

Show us your rides or projects!

Moderator: FORDification

chepdog1

Sketched a long bed with some big wheels

Post by chepdog1 »

Heres a quick sketch i did of a bump long bed with some big wheels (possibly 26's on back and 24's on front) i didnt really do the ratio to the size of the truck, but this is probably one way id like to go with a long bed (maybe 24's rear and 22's front with plenty of meat on them, if tubing the rear is a have to then i will), what do you guys think...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Sketched a long bed with some big wheels

Post by BobbyFord »

I believe width would be the only necessity for tubbing. Are you talking about a stock height truck?
chepdog1

Post by chepdog1 »

With the big wheels i think lowering the rear 2 inches would probably be enough, the front maybe the same. Your right the width would be the only thing from tubing or not tubing, well see, im in the market for a long bed, and i guess i'll go from there. I know some shop that will prefit the wheels before buying them to see fitment. Getting excited to see though, just different, id like a short bed but they arent dime a dozen like lb.
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Whateverman »

:2cents: you can fit 31 X 10 1/2 's on a stock height truck without hitting anything - i know thats not the look you're going for,but it might help

:thup: nice drawing by the way!
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

31x10.50 on a 15x9 tucked under the bed with no problems . That's with a 6" drop.
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

When you get up around 13" of tread width is when you'll need tubs.
Kraig

Post by Kraig »

Nice sketch!!
1969 F100 Ranger LWB Big Block, factory bucket seats and behind seat storage (arrived 3/21/12) (and it was free!)
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 247K and still going strong! (sold with 251,758 miles on it!)
1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang (1 of 83) "the original Fox body "R" model!!"
1972 Ford F-100 LWB SOLD 5/2/6
1995 F150 XLT Supercab (wanna trade for a Bump?)
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

If you are going to run those large of wheels I recommend at least disc brakes on the front if it doesn't already. That is a lot of rotating mass. Also you can run wheels made for a Ram and just open the hub bore of the wheel out or turn the disc brake hub down. If you do run wheels made for a Ram make sure they have a deep enough cap since the ford rotor had a tall hub and dust cap. Another option is to do a Crown Vic swap and rear lug pattern swap. That way you will have a huge array of wheel choices then.
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
chepdog1

Post by chepdog1 »

Thank you for the compliments, they are just sketches so they can look better. Thank you guys for the info. this will help me when i start seaching for rims/tires.