Starting Problems

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
$$$$robert

Starting Problems

Post by $$$$robert »

Hi, I put a new solenoid, cable to starter, pos cable to solenoid, and neg cable. I put on a new starter, a new alt, and regulator on my 72 Camper Special F-250, 390, 2 wheel drive. I cranked the engine and let it run for 10 minutes, then I shut it off. I tried to restart and it cranked real slow until it stopped turning the engine. The solenoid got how, the pos cable to siliniod got hot, the cable to the starter got hot. The new cable from the starter to the solenoid is about 32 in. long and is about 1/3 diameter as the pos cable to the solenoid. I checked the battery and it showed 12 volts on my cheep analog meter. It also showed 12 volts while the engine was running. When the engine cools down, it will start up. When I put my new alt on I hooked the black pos wire from the solenoid to the bat terminal on the alt, the black/red wire to the ground post and the orange wire from reg to the flo post. Nothing is hooked to the sta post. Is this correct?? I forgot to mark the wires. Thanks, Robert
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Sounds like you have everything hooked up correctly. Might want to take a trip to the autoparts store and have them check out the charging system with their machine. I have gotten faulty ignition and charging parts right outta the box including 3 altenators and 2 voltage regulators until I found new components that worked correctly. If you know all the components work right then you can look for loose wires and other small probs that might be getting over looked.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it sounds like lose connections to me. recheck all your connections.
QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by QC »

When the engine is running you should show closer to 14 volts at the battery. You can also just measure the voltage at the battery post of the alternator when the engine is running. It should be around 14v. I agree with 460 crew, take the alt. back and get it checked. Have your battery tested, too. Low voltage will make your cables heat up when the starters cranking.
69 F-100 Ranger 302
$$$$robert

re: Starting Problems

Post by $$$$robert »

Battery is new also. I am cleaning all connections and checking for thightness. I am also going to put a charger on the battery in case it is a little low. If that doesn't work, I am going to take the alt and starter to the parts store and get them checked out. Thanks if I need more help, I'll be back. Robert
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Starting Problems

Post by mrung0wa »

Hey my Brother!

While your at the parts store ask them why the cable (Solenoid to Starter) they sold you is a smaller diameter.
FYI:It has to carry the same amount of current nearly 3 (three) times the distance as the Battery to Solenoid. A smaller guage cable will not be able to carry as much current as a larger cable especially when traveling long distances This even more important in DC applications. This will also cause the cables to be hot/warm due to the increase of flow/ current needed to turn the starter over.

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."