Harbour frieght Timing light

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

wwishart

Harbour frieght Timing light

Post by wwishart »

Hey I bought a timing light for my 69 ford f100 and I know how to hook it up. (spark plug 1 and to the battery.) but I just don't know what to point it at or where the "notch" thing is on the pulley... So I guess I dont know what I'm really suppose to be looking for just have thIs flashing light hahah. I'm new to restoring cars and this is truck is my first vehicle that I have owned. ( I am 17) any help would be appreciated.! Thanks
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Harbour frieght Timing light

Post by basketcase0302 »

I've always taken typewriter "white-out" and highlighted my desired mark on the harmonic balancer, (crankshaft pulley). There will be a fixed bracket somewhere on the bottom of your engine that lines up onto the balancer. You shine it at that fixed marker with the engine at idle and vacuum from the distributor unhooked and that hose plugged.
What engine do you have in the truck? With that info someone can point you as to where the timing marks should be. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
wwishart

Post by wwishart »

I have a v8 390 and im not that mechanically inclined I know a little bit but not much you lost me at the vacuum from the distributor unhooked.? Are like pictures you have that I can look at.? Or can I just google it.?
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

In this diagram, find piece 12370, it's right on the side of the distributor. This is your vacuum advance.
There is a rubber hose attached to it. Pull the hose off the vacuum advance and plug it. A golf tee or small bolt works well.

Then follow the instructions given previously. Check out YouTube, there are probably several videos on there showing how to check timing.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
wwishart

Post by wwishart »

Thanks you both I figured it out thanks! Just what degree do I set it to for a 390? I set it with 0 degree but I think you might have to set it to ten.? I'm not sure.? Oh and I changed all fuel lines to.! Awwwwhhh ddaanngg!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

wwishart wrote:Thanks you both I figured it out thanks! Just what degree do I set it to for a 390? I set it with 0 degree but I think you might have to set it to ten.? I'm not sure.? Oh and I changed all fuel lines to.! Awwwwhhh ddaanngg!
The ignition timing needs to be set so that the distributor points create a spark BEFORE the piston reaches the top of its power stroke. This is because it will take just an instant for the spark to travel through the wire and cross the gap of the spark plug. If you set the timing at 0, the distributor will create the spark at the instant the piston is at TDC (top dead center) of the power stroke, and by the time the spark actually gets to the spark plug, the piston will already be on the way down.
The faster the engine speed, the earlier the distributor must create the spark to have it arrive at TDC. This is what your vacuum advance accomplishes. From what I have read, most people set the timing at 8 degrees before top dead center. The manual says 6, but these engines (FE series anyway) seem to run better with a bit more advance. You might even try ten and see how it runs.
Good luck!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
wwishart

Post by wwishart »

Thank you for the information I'll look at it tomorrow.! :D
michael69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by michael69 »

Also if you post your quetion in the engine section you will get alot more help.More people seem to look at it more than this section. Good luck and am glad to see a 17 yr old wanting to work on and drive old trucks :thup:
Michael69

'69 Ranger 'F-100 2WD SWB 351W C6 AUTO
1985 CJ 7 jeep w/35s
1967 SS Chevelle 502 4 speed
2003 Heritage softail w/110 cubic inch screamin eagle kit
wwishart

Post by wwishart »

michael69 wrote:Also if you post your quetion in the engine section you will get alot more help.More people seem to look at it more than this section. Good luck and am glad to see a 17 yr old wanting to work on and drive old trucks :thup:
alright i will do that next time thank you :D hahah yeah i had to find something else to get into for a career wise, because the military wont take be due to medical conditions so i bought a classic and saw how much fun it was restoring it and am now going to wyotech for diesel/ auto mechanic then im going to do an add on called street rod and custom fab. :D :D :D :D super stoked!
michael69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by michael69 »

Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders. Just remember the more you put into your schooling the more you will get out of it and then have a job that you like working at.Not one you hate going to everyday :thup:
Michael69

'69 Ranger 'F-100 2WD SWB 351W C6 AUTO
1985 CJ 7 jeep w/35s
1967 SS Chevelle 502 4 speed
2003 Heritage softail w/110 cubic inch screamin eagle kit