Different Brake Light Switches

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Different Brake Light Switches

Post by jor »

67 F-100

My brake light switch came apart last week so I consulted the regular catalogs for a replacement. I found one switch common among 68-72 and a different one for the 67. My 67 has the 68-72 plunger type. My 67 shop manual says my switch should mount to the master cylinder. Anyone have a photo or description of their 67 brake switch. For now, I simply installed the 68-72 switch and it works OK.

Here are photos of both switches. Thanks.
jor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Different Brake Light Switches

Post by 68F250 »

What's the question? :hmm:

Sounds like you already have it figured out. The '67 switch you have a pic of mounts where the mc pushrod connects to the brake pedal, lots of the cars used that setup too.

The '68+ switch you have a pic of is what you need if you have the plunger setup for some reason.

Hey, can't you get any closer pics? :D
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Anyone have a photo or description of their 67 brake switch?
Thanks. I was looking for a photo of the proper 67 switch mounting. The later one works on my truck but I'd like to mount the switch that is supposed to be on it. I see what you mean about the photo size! If I can figure out how to delete these I'll post smaller ones.
jor
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

OIC, you want to see what it looks like anyway.

Here's the deal, if your pedal has the bracket for the plunger style switch, you've got a '68+ pedal assembly already in your truck so that's the switch that's supposed to be on there. I don't think you can back-fit the '67 switch on the '68+ pedal assembly.

Keith has some pics of the '67 and '68+ pedal assemblies somewhere but I can't find them at the moment.

Also, from the looks of your pic, you got the plunger switch screwed in too far. Shouldn't have to press in the plunger that far for the switch to work, looks like it's bottoming out and putting stress on the switch assy.
Barry

spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

That first pic of Jor's looks just like a brake switch out of an 84 Merc full size.

I know cause I replaced one in a parking lot once.
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Also, from the looks of your pic, you got the plunger switch screwed in too far. Shouldn't have to press in the plunger that far for the switch to work, looks like it's bottoming out and putting stress on the switch assy.
Barry,
That's what I thought too, however, the plunger needs to go down that far to turn the lights off. Even at that point, it just barely works. The switch is new but maybe a little off.
jor
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Different Brake Light Switches

Post by dcbullet »

jor wrote:
Barry,
That's what I thought too, however, the plunger needs to go down that far to turn the lights off. Even at that point, it just barely works. The switch is new but maybe a little off.
jor
That's odd. You should be able to turn off your brake lights manually by reaching down there and just barely depressing the plunger (with your brake pedal depressed and out of the way of course). If it doesn't work that way, something is wrong with the switch I would think.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Yeah I agree, something must be wrong with your switch.

I just went out in the parking lot and measured my switch. The brake lights turn off when you press the switch in about 1/3 of the way.
Barry

jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

OK, I researched this a bit when I got home tonight. A previous owner has jury rigged this assembly a bit. The brake pedal assemby is factory (I think) and appears to be the later model. The tab that the switch plunger touches, however, is definitely an add-on. As far as the switch goes, the plunger has a detent position at about 1/8" out, the point at which the switch activates the lights.

My problem is further complicated in that the brake lights are going on when I put in the clutch (no wonder tailgaters have been backing off when I shift!). Anyhow, this is caused when the whole assembly flexes. I see that one of the plastic bushings is broken so they're probably all bad. Anyhow, I'll have to replace the bushings and line up the switch best I can.

I'd still like to see a photo of a 67 setup though.
jor
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

that sounds like a james bond steup with the brake lights. just turn on the blinker and grab another gear the cops would never catch you.