Brake lights

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
bandit

Brake lights

Post by bandit »

I own a 1969 Ford truck. Recently my brake lights quit working. I checked all bulbs, connections, wires and cleaned the light assembly. The brake switch has power going to it and power going out when the brake is applied. I thought the light housing was not getting a good ground, but I cleaned the assembly and where it mounted to the bed.I had a mechanic check it out and he could not find the problem. Has anyone had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

:wel: to the site!
stop by the welcome mat sometime and introduce yourself and your truck.

as for the lighting problem, is there power at the light socket for the brake lights? if not, I believe the current runs thru the turn signal switch. do your turn signals and taillights work?
check the wiring diagrams in the tech section. they should point you in the right direction.
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Brake lights

Post by bluef250 »

Sound like the turn signal switch is bad. This part seems to give many problems. I suggest replacing the switch not just the cancel cam.
hatch_m

Post by hatch_m »

Check the turn signal switch,

I had the same problem, along with others but i got it down to just brake lights not working. Once and awhile they would and sometimes they wouldnt. When they wouldnt i would smack the fuse box there and they would begin working, try and give her a love tap;) If not i would see if you had power at the lights, and make sure you checked the wires running to the rear over good,
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I agree. It's probably the turn signal switch.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html