Vinyl Care

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Vinyl Care

Post by dcbullet »

Any great products to use to keep the dash from cracking? Armor All is all I know about and I was wondering if there were any new products that are better.
steveheer

re: Vinyl Care

Post by steveheer »

Well, I've heard bad things about the long term effects of silicon in Armor All plus it makes everything slick and attract dust. I've used Meguires vinyl cleaner/conditioner some and it doesn't make everything so slick and wet looking but it may still have silicon.

Probably the best way to keep the dash from cracking is to use a dash protector to keep the sun and UV rays off since this is what makes the vinyl deteriorate. I have a dash protector that I got for Christmas a few years ago. It fits well BUT I left the velcro strips off to attach it. I didn't want the adhesive to mess up my good dash pad! So it does slide around if you brush against it. Normally it stays put and I would recommend one.
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Vinyl Care

Post by dcbullet »

steveheer wrote:Well, I've heard bad things about the long term effects of silicon in Armor All plus it makes everything slick and attract dust. I've used Meguires vinyl cleaner/conditioner some and it doesn't make everything so slick and wet looking but it may still have silicon.

Probably the best way to keep the dash from cracking is to use a dash protector to keep the sun and UV rays off since this is what makes the vinyl deteriorate. I have a dash protector that I got for Christmas a few years ago. It fits well BUT I left the velcro strips off to attach it. I didn't want the adhesive to mess up my good dash pad! So it does slide around if you brush against it. Normally it stays put and I would recommend one.
Yeah problem with the dash protector is then you can't see the dash! :doh:

McGuires makes good wax so maybe they make good vinyl care product too.
qman

Post by qman »

My old Volvo dash was perfect until I put Armor All on it. Then it cracked.
72 F100 2wd 360 C6 Custom w/factory PS.
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

:hmm:
I use to just have a truck towel that I draped over the dash when I parked it in the sun. Actually sometimes I still do that if the guages are facing the sun--I don't want faded guages!

I know what you mean about not seeing the dash. But I don't want my dash to crack like qman's Volvo!
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Vinyl Care

Post by dcbullet »

steveheer wrote:I know what you mean about not seeing the dash. But I don't want my dash to crack like qman's Volvo!
Kind of a conundrum isn't it? :lol:
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

actualy why not justr tint all legaly tintable windows and then get a sun shade?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

I don't know if anything can keep a dash from cracking...The problem is the foam underneath the vinyl dries out and shrinks in places and warps in others and the vinyl covering,being bonded to the foam,is not strong enough to keep from splitting as the foam starts losing it's shape....I'm no expert on vinyl,but I am an expert on flat roofs,and the same thing happens to roofs as they age...they're gradually drying out and shrinking over time...Keeping the sun's UV rays off of the dash,just like w/ roofs will certainly slowdown the 'weathering' process,but not totally eliminate it..I'd go w/ a sunscreen,tinted windows,room humidifier,air purifier,heated and air conditioned garage and maybe valet parking...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
Chasbod
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Chasbod »

Mac's carries a POR-15 Boss Gloss vinyl protectant---haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it. Don't know if it has silicon in it.

I just figured that based on POR's reputation, it might be a good product.
71 F100 302/3.03 Project Truck Underway
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

I pulled a green towel out of the bathroom that I use for my truck. I also use the McGuires stuff. When it is put on the seat, you can push down on the seat and feel how is made it softer and it can be stretched more. I dont press on the dash becuase I do not want it to crack, but I do put Mcguires on it also. Another good thing is you dont slide around with the McGuires on the seat.
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!