Dana 24 Speedo gear???

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Ks Highboy

Dana 24 Speedo gear???

Post by Ks Highboy »

I was wanting to know the best way to go about getting a gear that would correct the speedometer on my 67 4x4 with a type24 Dana. The Type 24 has a cast gear inside the case that the speedo cable attaches too. My truck originally came with 4.56 gears and I switched to 3.73 and my speedo reads really slow. Didn't know if there was a source for these gears.
Doug Comer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Dana 24 Speedo gear???

Post by Doug Comer »

I would try to figure out which one you need. Then find the part number. Then try one of the NOS dealers such as Green sales or any of the others. Kind of alot of steps but it'll be worth it. I believe most of the info you need will be available form this site.
Doug
1967 f100 4x4
1970 f250 4x4
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Use an inline speedometer ratio adapter. Do some basic math to determine how far off the speedo is then buy the exact ratio adapter to correct it. Installs in 5 minutes.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Tpdaniels

Post by Tpdaniels »

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speed ... 7QodbBMelQ

About 1/3 of the way down on the page, it's listed under "GM / Dodge / Ford Ratio Adapter" Cost $62.00, This is about the only way to fix them. You can get most any Ratio change needed to speed it up or slow it down.
I am of an age now that most of life's lessons were learned the hard way;
Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
Never ask how stupid someone is 'cause they'll turn around and show you.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
If you had the choice “Looks or Brains” take the Brains, Looks will get you thru the first half, but Brains will last a lifetime.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

I was always under the impression you could just change the plastic driven gear on the end of the cable to correct?
DC and NPD sell the different colored plastic ones for around $12 I believe. :hmm:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

basketcase0302 wrote:I was always under the impression you could just change the plastic driven gear on the end of the cable to correct?
DC and NPD sell the different colored plastic ones for around $12 I believe. :hmm:
There is no gear on the end of the D24 cable. Regardless, in any speedo drive setup if you change one gear you have to change the pitch center or both the driving and driven gears need changed at the same time. Fords don't use any kind of pitch center adjustment that I'm aware of so your stuck with changing both gears.

Chrysler and GM products really loved the ratio adapters for decades. A stroll through U-pull-it could get you a bucket of them for a few bucks.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
Tpdaniels

Post by Tpdaniels »

averagef250 wrote:
basketcase0302 wrote:I was always under the impression you could just change the plastic driven gear on the end of the cable to correct?
There is no gear on the end of the D24 cable. Regardless, in any speedo drive setup if you change one gear you have to change the pitch center or both the driving and driven gears need changed at the same time. Fords don't use any kind of pitch center adjustment that I'm aware of so your stuck with changing both gears.

Chrysler and GM products really loved the ratio adapters for decades. A stroll through U-pull-it could get you a bucket of them for a few bucks.
I was waiting for someone else to answer before I replied, I knew you couldn't just change the plastic gear, I looked for months during the rebuild of my highboy and the only way without taking the transfer case apart, (not to mention you can't buy the replacement speedo gears) is to use the gear adapter, it just screws onto the transfer case and the speedo cable screws onto it, it's simple and only takes a few minutes to do.

The only problem with a used one is they come in any ratio correction from -50% to +100% and anywhere in between, good luck finding the right one

Here's a picture of one

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
If you had the choice “Looks or Brains” take the Brains, Looks will get you thru the first half, but Brains will last a lifetime.
Ks Highboy

Post by Ks Highboy »

Thanks TpDaniles! I never saw one before. How do you figure out which one you need? I need to speed mine up about 12mph.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Ks Highboy wrote:Thanks TpDaniles! I never saw one before. How do you figure out which one you need? I need to speed mine up about 12mph.
Does it read 12 MPH when you're stopped?
Tpdaniels

Post by Tpdaniels »

averagef250 wrote:
Ks Highboy wrote:Thanks TpDaniles! I never saw one before. How do you figure out which one you need? I need to speed mine up about 12mph.
Does it read 12 MPH when you're stopped?
To start with what you have to figure out is the percentage of increase you need. I'm assuming your saying that at 55 mph your speedometer say's 43, to find the percentage, divide the correct speed (55) by the incorrect speed (43) and the answer is 1.279 if that's the case you need an increase of 27.9 percent to correct the reading. If you look at the the site I referenced,

(http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speed ... 7QodbBMelQ)

you will see one of the adapters they stock is a 28 percent increase, that is as close as you can get, so that's the one you need.

And the answer to your question is NO, it reads zero when stopped. By correcting the percentage it will be correct at any speed your driving

Hope this helps.