Radio Delete plate

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Radio Delete plate

Post by dotcentral »

I have a radio delete plate that I would like to remove off a parts truck. Problem is, I can't figure out how to remove it without breaking it. Seems like there are plastic studs that go through the radio knob/shaft (calm down Beavis) openings, and they in turn have some sort of plastic nuts or clips that fastenen onto them. If any of that makes sense.

Short of cutting around the radio area of the dash with a sawzall or cutoff wheel, is there a way to remove the radio delete plate without damaging it?
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

reach up behind the plate and unscrew the nuts off the studs. worked for me!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Radio Delete plate

Post by dotcentral »

It has been a few months since I last tried, but it seemed like they were just spinning but not coming loose. Guess they could be stripped out. Is there an actual thread on the shaft, or is it a sheetmetal nut that cuts its own thread into the shaft?
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i bet it makes its own threads.
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

pull harder while twisting. I bet they were over tightened and striped the last bit. Put some pressure on it and it should twist off.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
Velcro

Post by Velcro »

Quite often you'll find what are called "speed nuts" on plastic shafts. Made of thin spring steel, with a small hole and several cuts coming from it, they flex and are pushed onto the shaft. The "springiness" causes them to bind onto the plastic. IF you can reach them, try inserting a small screwdriver blade under those tabs and popping them away from the plate. This should release the hold on those shafts.
Stroked

re: Radio Delete plate

Post by Stroked »

I had the same problem on m Galaxie. I think I had to screw it off and pry out on it at the same time.
1963 Galaxie 2-door sedan 260/3-speed
1971 F250 2wd 360/4-speed
1986 Chevy K10 305/auto
Many, many parts vehicles.......