Brake system light

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

QC
Preferred User
Preferred User

Brake system light

Post by QC »

How does the brake system warning light come out of the dash? Does the lens/bezel screw off, or is there a retainer behind the dash? You can't hardly get your hand up there with the emergency brake in the way. When I bought my truck the whole thing was missing. I found one in a parts truck, but I want to get it out without damaging it. :?
69 F-100 Ranger 302
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

it probably theaded. thats just a guess from what i know. everything else in the dash is. lights wipers ignition
steveheer

re: Brake system light

Post by steveheer »

I know it's a socket like a 2 prong light bulb. I'm pretty sure you will have to push from the back while you twist counter clockwise, then the front chrome ring slides off the socket.

It's been awhile but I know they really are not that hard to remove once you figure it out. I actually took another from a junk yard and replaced the blank space where a cigarette lighter would have gone if mine was so equipped. Then I used a washer and inserted this light for an indicator for when my overdrive is on. It looks really stock that way!!
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

:yt:
Steve, is right on target with his post!
Ray
71 F100 360/C6
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

My 71 has a large spring that goes between the two parts to keep it tight. I also tried unscrewing the lens/bezel to replace the red lens but was afraid I'd warp it, so I still have no lens. Good luck with it.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yep, just hold the bezel with your left hand, reach up under the dash with your right. Push in and twist about 1/4-turn and remove.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

I happened to be replacing some instrumentation and had my instrument cluster out at the time. You can reach it easy through the dash that way. Hope that tidbit of info helps someone else.