4x4 crewcab frame question

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

tempefd

4x4 crewcab frame question

Post by tempefd »

I have a 70 f350 crewcab that I would like to convert to 4x4. I have an opportunity to buy a couple crew cab 4x4's locally to help with the conversion. The question is which one would be easier. I looked at a 76 crewcab 4x4 today with a bad body. Running gear and frame are great. It has a Dana 60 low pinion disc front with a divorced 205 and power assist steering. The other donor truck is a 79 f250 crewcab 4x4. It has a 44 front, mated tcase and power steering. I know the frames are quite a bit different on the 79's, but would either frame work? One better than the other?? I plan the frame splice for the long bed to be done behind the cab. Thanks for the help
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 4x4 crewcab frame question

Post by 460 crew »

79 frame hands down if you like power steering already there and a rear tank in the frame rails. Those few additions make life a little easier down the road.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
fomoco390

Re: 4x4 crewcab frame question

Post by fomoco390 »

I've been EXACTLY where you are before. Send me you contact info and we can talk or email. There are pros and cons either way, I went with the later model frame personally, but depending on your axle combos and drivetrain plans it may be better to use the highboy frame.
Crew cab aficionado