Will a 2 Ton Jack Work?

Discuss your workshop and related equipment

Moderator: FORDification

Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Will a 2 Ton Jack Work?

Post by Subzero »

I bought a Pittsburgh Auto 4 Ton jack from Harbor Freight Tools a few weeks ago for $140 and its still unopened. Now, I also have a chance to get a free old Allied 2 Ton jack from a family member. I plan to get a F250 soon which weights around 7000 lbs and my bump weights around 5,000 I assume ( correct me if I'm wrong)?I can get my money back if the other one will work. I know its not possible to lift up the entire truck at once; front first then back so its weight is halved.Will a 2 ton jack be enough to lift up the trucks safely? I need to make a move fast so I can have some free money if possible to go take advantage of the tool sales tomorrow :lol: :thup:
Thanks
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Will a 2 Ton Jack Work?

Post by sargentrs »

My F100 2wd long bed weighs 4140# according to the scales at the dump. A 2T jack is more than enough for it. For the F250, the 2T is perfect capable of lifting 1 end of it. Spend the extra money on a good set of jack stands for safety.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

Thanks, just wanted to make sure. Looks like I'll be returning the HF jack tomorrow then. Might end up getting a tool cart with all the money back or something similar. Here's the exact same jack I will have http://archive.pennysaverusa.com/catego ... 16838.html . I already bought 2 Craftsman stands rated at 8,000 lbs for the pair on clearance at Sears for $30. I figure another set of the same and I'll be good for stands. Along with the jack are some old stands from Sears but I couldn't make out a ton rating although I prefer the newer ratchet style rather than the slip pin but spares don't hurt. Why do they say not to have the truck on four stands lifted completely up? I see neighbors doing it all the time.
1972 F100 Sport Custom-2WD, Aqua Blue and Wimbleton White, LWB, 302 V8 and C4 trans, P/S, P/B - under construction

Gone but not forgotten: 1968 F100 Ranger- 2WD, LWB, original rebuilt 360 V8, Autolite 2bbl carb, C6 Trans, Hedman Headers, Powermaster Racing Starter, H-Pipe and Glasspacks, P/S, P/B, A/C
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Subzero wrote:Why do they say not to have the truck on four stands lifted completely up? I see neighbors doing it all the time.
Just your federal government once again trying to save you from yourself. Afraid it'll start falling and then all four stands will tip over and you'll be crushed. It's like the tag on hair dryers that says "Do not use in shower". Some idiot, some where, some time actually did it and now they have to warn all of us idiots. I prefer to think of it as "natural selection".
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
thejunkman
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by thejunkman »

As for jack stands, I am a big fan of the harbor freight 6 ton stands. I'm not a believer in a lot of their stuff, but these things are sturdy, safe, and cheap. The 6 tons are a great height for our trucks, and have a nice wide foot print. I'm comfortable doing serious wrenching under the truck when on these stands. I usually throw a couple smaller stands under for backup, just in case.
-Dave

1967 f100 long bed 2wd, 390, np435
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

I looked up the 6T stands and they look real nice and are cheap too. I'd buy those but I already have 1 pair of the 4T Craftsman stands and I think I should get all four of them to be the same style dimensions and height. The max height is 18in on Craftman ones and I can trust Craftsman ( most of the time, you have to watch out for the Chinese Craftsman stuff that seems to keep taking over :( ).

Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

I was so glad that I could get my money back from the jack today. I got a 163 piece Craftsman tool set and a 4T bottle jack as ac spare emergency jack for the truck. The old Sears pin type jack stands don't have a ton rating on them. I'm going to do some reasearch on them and see what I can find. The new/old Allied jack works well.

GreyStep

Post by GreyStep »

Speaking of Jacks... What are you guys using for road emergency jacks... I have been using a 6ton bottle jack... But for the front it's a two step process, I need to do something else.
If only more people were "BUILT FORD TOUGH"...
Subzero
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Subzero »

I have the original 68' jack under the hood and a spare $20 Pittsburgh Auto (Harbor Freight) 4 ton bottle jack. I haven't tried either with the truck though. Course if it came down to it I doubt I would trust my very old dryrot spare at any speed more than 25 mph. I really need to figure out where to buy a cheap spare tire. The two ton jack mentioned earlier lifts the truck fine, I think it may have a slow internal leak, but it stays up enough for me to put stands under my truck.

GreyStep

Post by GreyStep »

I want to be able to change a front tire without needing to carry 2x4 and 4x4 wooden blocks...
Currently I use bottle jack, get it up a out 10inches (enough to put it on wooden blocks) then extend stem on bottle
Jack and get it up high enough to change tire...pain in the nads on a 15degree night on a snow/ice covered road side.

I may just look for light truck scissor jack and mount it on rail under the bed....
If only more people were "BUILT FORD TOUGH"...
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

Don't go cheap on Jacks or Stands. Your life is not worth it. My dad decided to build his own one collapsed. Luck would have it my mom was nearby and heard the scream. She was able to lift the 67 Scout off of him. Miracle Strength. We also just lost a local car guy his daughter found him about 4 hours after his chevy fell on him. He didn't make it.
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Definitely do not skimp on the jack stands! When I converted Frodo over to disc brakes, I had two on each side.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html