Highboy with 2" lift?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

taRedHood

Highboy with 2" lift?

Post by taRedHood »

Alright, I'm about to pull the trigger on new springs all around and a potential small amount of lift.

I'm considering the Skyjacker kit with 2" lift. My understanding is that this will put the truck at 2" higher than factory. I don't want an obnoxious lift, just something nice (like TPDaniels truck). I believe I will run 315/75/16 tires on it. It just hard to say how it will look as just putting new stock springs on will lift the truck back up quite a bit. Any photos you might have with a Highboy and a Skyjacker kit with 2" lift sure would be helpful.

Thanks
bobslaven

Re: Highboy with 2" lift?

Post by bobslaven »

ALCON,
I realize this message is 7 years old, but I figured anybody searching for Skyjacker 2" lift might get something useful out of what I learned recently.
I went and put some nice 35" tires on my 1970 F-250 4x4. Well, almost 35" (315/75R16). They ended up rubbing the front left fender pretty good, so I decided to do a 2" suspension lift. After a fair bit of research, I went with the Skyjacker kit (F720KS-B). Not the add-a-leaf, but the full monty. The front end went pretty smoothly (once I figured out what I was doing and disconnected the Pittman arm). and turned out very nice. Made sufficient room for the rubber, too. Problems with the rear though.
Turns out the kit showed up with rounded 3-1/8" inner diameter u-bolts for the rear. They just won't fit in the stock leaf spring plate, and even if they did they'd have a considerable gap between the lift block and the bolts...which seemed wrong to me. Now the Skyjacker folks were nice and tried to help, but seemed convinced they sent me the right parts. Refunded me 48$, which I put towards some new 2-1/4" wide u-bolts from General Spring. They seem perfect. Then I figured out the lift block was actually 2-1/2" wide. I can force the u-bolts over the block, but it spreads the feet out so much that I just can't get them into the spring plate. Again, the Skyjacker folks were nice and all, but pretty much said they sent me the right parts and they don't have 2-1/4" wide lift blocks. My conversations with them led me to believe they think a stock Highboy's rear suspension is set up different than it really is.
I'm pretty sure my whole rear end is stock. It appears to be 50 years old, and certainly looks in accordance with the shop manual. I think Skyjacker's bumpside 2" lift kit comes with incorrect parts for highboys. I'm getting some new lift blocks whooped up at a local shop and might get to finish lifting the rear end tomorrow. Here's hoping it ends up level, at this point I've got my doubts now about the whole kit.
I can't imagine I'm the only guy who got this kit, but I've yet to read any other similar issues with the kit. Maybe I'm the only guy who had challenges, but based upon my conversations with Skyjacker I kind of doubt it. I recommended the Skyjacker folks take a good look at their kit and the parts they're putting in it but who knows what fruit that will produce.
Might be a good idea to double check your rig and call the Skyjacker folks before ordering their kit. Good luck.

Billy Bob
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

I purchased the 4" kit from Skyjacker with full springs for my 68 F250 4x4. The rear blocks on my truck are 2-1/4 wide to match the springs so why your blocks are 2-1/2 is a bit confusing. Are your blocks 4" high and have the guide holes for the u-bolts? This is what the stock blocks are like at 2-1/4 wide. If I understand your post you are saying the 2-1/4 rear spring sits on the stock leaf spring block with an 1/8 inch of the block showing on each side. Very odd and sounds like you have later year blocks in your set up. I did not use the rear u-bolts in my kit because I put a sterling in my truck with a u-bolt plate from a 70 F-350 with shock mount. Regardless I had a local heavy truck shop make the u-bolts for me and they were 2-1/4 wide. I still have the original u-bolts if you would like me to get some dimensions from them.

Yes this is an old thread but I wanted to let you know what I found.
68 F250 4x4
RGB

Post by RGB »

1972 Highboy with 35x12.5x17... stock HD suspension (best I can tell from rust) PLUS
Cobbled up extended bracket on the front.
Poor fit extra helper spring at the rear.
(front looks okay, but rear is too high as it sits now)

Would LIKE to return it to stock height front & rear:

1. What is the maximum diameter tire that FITS with new OEM springs? (eliminates all rubbing)

2. Do stock height 50 yrs old springs sag from OEM height?
(How much, good guess on sag?)

Worth replacing front/rear springs with New STOCK replacements?

THANKS for any and all feedback!