69 Ford Camper Special Budget Project

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

projectsamanthacampy

Re: 69 Ford Camper Special Budget Project

Post by projectsamanthacampy »

moonhanger007 wrote:Have you checked the oil level in your differential? Sounds like maybe your axle locked up.
Hope its something simple. :pray:
That was going to be my first project before I tore the whole tranny out. I'm hoping that's what it is as well, but that still doesn't explain why my transmission won't go into park when running. If I even dare start it in park (which is the only gear I can because my neutral switch doesn't work so I can't start it in nuetral) it makes a large loud gear grinding sound....
69 F-250 6.4 Project ~Samantha
97 F-350 7.3 Power stroke Turbo Diesel ~Sherly
70 VW Bug ~Roy
"My truck is made for my approval not yours"
Grease Monkey

Post by Grease Monkey »

Sounds like something in your diff broke, or came loose. The parts that broke free get hung between the ring and pinion causing the rear tires to lock up. Then when you put it in gear and something broke loose - (probably broke the teeth off the R&P) so your driveline was then free wheeling with no power going to the axles. Then the driveline was still free wheeling when you put the trans in park, causing the grinding noise you heard. - (About the same as if you had the rear axle jacked up in the air, and moved the gear shifter from drive to park without applying the brakes.)
First thing I'd do is pull the diff cover and go from there.You may or may not have damaged the parking pawl on the trans as well.
Best of luck with it! Be sure to post pics of what comes out of that diff!
Last edited by Grease Monkey on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
projectsamanthacampy

Thank you so much Grease Monkey! I will do that ASAP tomorrow after tonight's night shift at work. Ill post all pictures possible for y'all to see and to benefit me! Thanks so much. Also how can I check my parking pawl to tell if its damaged? Or will I know once I fix what is possibly broken? :hmm:
70 VW Bug ~Roy
Grease Monkey

Post by Grease Monkey »

Easiest way to tell is when you get the rear axle back together with no broken parts, see if "park" will still hold the truck from rolling. Even if it is completely ruined, your trans should still work. You would just have to use the e-brake to hold the truck. If it does seem to hold, be careful with it for a while. It could seem like it holds fine, but be bent enough that it could jump out of park at some inconvenient time or place.
projectsamanthacampy

Sadly my ebrake is broken but ill just have to take it to a break shop and have them do it all... I'm too lazy to do the drum breaks for the 2nd time :evil:
70 VW Bug ~Roy
projectsamanthacampy

Thank you. Ill post all possible pictures of disassembly and reassembly.
70 VW Bug ~Roy
Stealth69

Post by Stealth69 »

I have had a car do that before it made a popping noise and the ring gear lost a tooth locking the whole dif.
'02 BMW 325xi

'69 Ford F250 C.S. Ranger 428 PI with gt 500 heads, racing c6, d60 3.73 limited slip, currently rat rod black (flat black) but going back factory Candy Apple Red / Wimbledon White
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

You should separate the driveshaft from the transmission and see if the tranny works, taking the load off of it. Then jack up the rear axles, spin them by hand and listen/feel for binding or grinding back there before going to the trouble of tearing apart the rear end.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
projectsamanthacampy

Before even starting on it, I'm lookin at the diff cover and it has a quarter size whole and it look like it shot something from the inside out. I have to go pick my tools up from a buddy before I start but it really is killing me to know what that's from. :?
70 VW Bug ~Roy
Grease Monkey

Post by Grease Monkey »

Since you weren't towing or putting any heavy loads on the drivetrain at the time, I would bet that the crosspin bolt backed out of the carrier and wound up between the ring and pinion teeth. Then it's like a chain reaction after that, breaking more parts as it goes till the teeth are all gone, making a real mess inside the diff. I have also seen ring gear bolts back out, grind into the housing until the head snaps off, then gets caught up in the gears. This is why I use plenty of locktite and a good torque wrench when installing gears!
Good news is Dana 60 rears aren't hard to find!
Last edited by Grease Monkey on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stealth69

Post by Stealth69 »

sounds like the ring gear exploded? not sure if it is limited slip it might be the clutches too.
'02 BMW 325xi

'69 Ford F250 C.S. Ranger 428 PI with gt 500 heads, racing c6, d60 3.73 limited slip, currently rat rod black (flat black) but going back factory Candy Apple Red / Wimbledon White
projectsamanthacampy

Well Grease Monkey, as you requested I took plenty of pictures. Here's all I have to share of the process...

Already from looking in the cover, A: I'll need a new one. B: Something definitely all bad inside...

Heck, getting a new one anyways so let's take a hammer to it

Just letting it drain before opening... PRAYING...

So I couldn't get a picture before ALL this fell out... But wait there's more..

Still some stuff back there I couldn't get to by hand..

Yes... You were right about this Grease Monkey...

So this is all I got, ill get dismantling pics once I get the carrier in the mail. New question: Should I buy a new carrier since this has a gouge in it or is it ok to take off, get the new ring&pinion kit and then put it back together? :yt:
70 VW Bug ~Roy
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I'd be replacing everything from the lugnuts in. Without checking for cracks on everything, it's not possible to know what other damage has been done and is waiting to show up at an inopportune moment. Our local DIY wrecking yard charges about $150 for entire rear end.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Grease Monkey

Post by Grease Monkey »

It actually don't look as bad as I was expecting. :)
The 5/8 or so diameter pin that is now in two pieces is the crosspin. It does indeed look as though the crosspin retaining bolt backed out, allowing the pin to slide out until it caught on the housing or pinion and broke in half.
If I was able to inspect it closely, and determine that there wasn't any cracks in the carrier - the crosspin retaining bolt threads are good - and the crosspin bores weren't too boogered up - and there weren't any missing teeth on the ring or pinion........
Then I wouldn't be afraid to try just getting a new crosspin and retaining bolt and spider gear washers. On the other hand complete Dana 60 rears can be found, (around here anyway) for around $150
Stealth69

Post by Stealth69 »

I would say replace the whole thing or at least the carrier as Here they are for sale for like 50 bucks for a limited slip carrier with ring gears already installed and the matching pinion
'02 BMW 325xi