The "Krusty Kab"

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Re: The "Krusty Kab"

Post by Mancar1 »

That is some great work :thup:
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Now that we are past the holidays and all of the many shopping trips....back to the truck. I finished working on the mounting for the hydroboost. I decided to weld in a couple of studs on the bottom of the plate because there is no way to get a bolt in. The booster is blocking the holes. So I used a 5/16 stud in each and drilled the threads out of the nuts mounted to the pedal bracket so that the studs will pass through. Then use a nut on to tighten the studs up to the firewall. Top bolts will be regular 3/8 bolts like factory. The only thing I lack now is making a mounting bracket for the booster rod to mount to on the pedal.

Also I have stripped the automatic column down and converting it to a "no shift" column. I am going to run a tko 5 speed. Top bearing was bad but the bottom is good. So I stripped the column housing with a wire brush and put a coat of etching primer on it.

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I figured out how to handle the brake pedal issues. I cut a portion out of another brake pedal, welded it to the back side of the brake pedal that I am using, drilled a hole for the booster rod...done!

Sandblasted the pedal set and currently painting them.

With the help of my dad and a friend of mine, we pulled the cab with the engine hoist and set it on my trailer to take to the body shop for rust repair.

Now I am starting to strip the frame to clean and paint.

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Way to go Barry!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Floor pans, cab mounts are done and undercoated inside and out. On to the frame.

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Truck looks good. I think most of us started with a Krusty Kab :)

AFR's on a 351, gonna be fun.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Got the frame pressure washed Saturday. I sprayed some oven cleaner and purple power on it and cleaned up really good. Now I need to do a little sanding and paint. The frontend was already in the truck when I bought it, but I am thinking about pulling it out to box the frame in and clean the front end better. Is the boxing necessary or just good insurance?

Barry

Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Another small update. Got the frame boxed in where the CV suspension will mount. Frame is sanded as well so hoping to paint this week and begin putting things back together.

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

I work for the State of TN and the Governor closed all state offices today do to the snow and ice so I was able to get a second coat of paint on the bottom of my frame. After scrubbing the whole frame with my angle grinder, flapper discs, and wire brushes it was ready for paint. What I thought was rust on the frame turned out to be red clay dirt. Cleaned up great! I decided to use the Rustoleum/brush method to paint. I chose the matte black Tractor Supply version and used a regular brush to paint in the hard to reach areas and used a high quality foam brush for the flat surfaces. It worked out great! I am going to give it til Saturday to dry and flip it over to paint the top side then start the re-assembly.

Barry

Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
69timemachine
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 69timemachine »

Looks awesome!
Jason
"Where there's a wheel, there's a way!"
'69 F100 SWB in Lunar Green with built 351C & TKO-600 5-speed, 4.56 gears, and Eaton TrueTrac Posi.
Future plans: Maybe one day, fresh paint, though I've been told by some, "Don't touch it! It's done!"
'06 Mustang GT 5-speed

Sold: '77 F100, '72 Gran Torino, '76 El Camino with 454 & TH400
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

New rear springs are in and rear end is sitting on the springs. I also got the cross member cleaned and painted with Rustoleum stainless steel. I like the color because it is not glossy at all.

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gasnoil

Post by gasnoil »

Great work!! :thup: :fr:
moonhanger007

Post by moonhanger007 »

Coming together nicely!
:pop:
JIMO2

Post by JIMO2 »

Coming along great! I had great luck with Rustoleum satin black on a 46 jeep frame I had done with a coat of the rusty metal primer underneath. The frame had started out pretty clean, no real rust scale to deal with. Looks great.
I will be following your progress here as I am too planning a 1994 5.8 roller motor and not sure on the EFI part yet as it will be more effort. I do have the 1990 Mustang harness, upper intake and PCM laying around. Not sure if I can use the Mustang Mass Air Sensor on the 5.8 and may need a 5.8 dist with the tfi module in it as opposed to the fender mounted design from the Ford truck??? The speed sensor and throttle/kickdown linkages and so on. Anyway, I am a year out on that part good luck on your project. If interested, my project is at
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 48#p682448
Jim
Jim

"I love it when a plan comes together"
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Work has been getting in the way again but the past couple of weeks I have been able to make some progress. I have most of the front suspension done. I need to finish bolting in the front sway bar and the front rack. Then onto the front brakes. I also got the fuel tank sending unit and fuel pump assembly configured and installed. If I can finish the suspension in the next week or so then its onto running brake lines and fuel lines.

Barry
Last edited by IN2FORD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.