Just a tip: Get a set of manuals for your truck

General Discussion Topic Archives
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Just a tip: Get a set of manuals for your truck

Post by FORDification »

First of all, I want to mention that the reason this board exists is to discuss problems and ask for advice about these trucks. Oftentimes the factory shop manuals don't give all the needed information about the little things, or someone wants to add parts or make modifications that obviously wouldn't be covered in the manuals, so that's where the forums come into play. Plus it's a great place to just hang out and BS with other truck lovers.

However, it seems a lot of questions being posted here on a regular basis are things which ARE covered in fairly great detail in the factory shop manuals. These aren't the cheesy Chilton's tune-up books, which barely cover the basics...the factory manuals are very detailed books, with a lot of pictures, diagrams and specs needed to maintain and adjust our trucks. Therefore, I'd like to suggest that everyone who owns a truck NEEDS to get a full set of FACTORY shop manuals. These are available all over the place. You can get pre-owned versions very inexpensively on E-bay, or you can opt for new reprints, which are a bit more but will definitely pay for themselves. You can even now get the full set of manuals on CD, so that you can reference a topic you're needing help with and then just print out the pages you need for a specific project.

I definitely don't want to discourage anyone asking questions here... I mean, heck that's why we're here, after all. But as I'm sure you've all noticed, many of the questions are being answered by someone who has simply scanned the necessary answers from pages out of the factory manuals. If you've checked out the scans, you can tell just how detailed these manuals are, which should eliminate any concerns on whether they're actually worth the money.

Let me tell you....they ARE! If you've got a truck, you NEED to get a full set of manuals. They'll be the second-best investment you made! 8)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
19674x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 19674x4 »

well said keith, i just haven't found any yet? plus i am on a tight highschool student budget. As a matter of fact, i think i'll head over to ebay a see if i can come up with anything.
My Photo Album
2012 Cummins-the luxury Tow Pig
1967 F-250 highboy 352, np435(((((((sold))))))))) My first true love
1968 F100 SWB. 360, np-435, flatbed, currently acting as a hornest nest and bee hive.
1971 F-100 4x4 Step-side. 360, np-435, 70k origional miles- needs allot of love.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Just a tip: Get a set of manuals for your truck

Post by Jake11 »

That's some pretty good advice from Keith, guys. The factory made
these trucks, and they knew how to service them. Also the Mitchell
books are pretty good too. I see a lot of basic stuff getting asked about
that should be something you could look up in your manual. I am more
than glad to help, and I will. Go get one! Soon! They got pictures and
and spec's and lots more. :)
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Might try Amazon, they have lot's of used books in good condition.
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Hmmmm... Well, I have a set of manuals and the CD version as well and I agree that having a set of manuals is worthwhile. Nevertheless, I don't mind seeing or replying to questions from someone who doesn't have a manual, can't find his manual, can't understand the manual, can't afford a manual or just feels like using the board instead of the manual.

My experience on FTE and other boards is as follows:
1. Everybody freely exchanges information;
2. The same questions begin appearing;
3. Experienced users become annoyed and suggest the writer look it up;
4. Experienced users become resentful and order the user to search the board for his answer;
5. The board becomes a clique.

I don't expect this progression to happen here but you never know.
jor
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

:yt: I agree, picking up a manual is about the 1st step someone that purchases a truck of these years should do. I know mine comes in handy time to time and I have even ripped my truck down to the frame and built it back up and still forget stuff I have done in the past. :hmm:
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i feel like number 3 sometimes but i keep it to myself. i don't have to read it or come here so what does it really matter to me. but it does bug me especially with the long problems.

lets not get cliqueish here
CACWBY

Post by CACWBY »

I wouldn't part with mine- and I hardly ever look at them, but it's part of owning my Truck, collected over time along with sales literature. Not much help on aftermarket stuff though.
Trevor Rush
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

Great advice!

I nailed a full 5 piece set for my `69 awhile back for right around $45.00 (with shipping) off ebay. They're out there, you just need to keep your eyes peeled, and deals do come along. The full set is available as a hard copy reprint for around $75.00 here:

ebay manuals seller

The factory wiring diagram is available also, I got mine as a re-print from osborne reproductions (on ebay, can't remember the actual ID, I'll try to look it up).

Ok, looks like someone else has the rights to the manual now, found it (and many others) here:

seller for wiring diagrams

And, if anyone wants to start a set of original `69 manuals, let me know. I've got volume 4 and 5 sitting here not being used, extra. 4 is maintenance and lubrication, 5 is the preliminary shop manual, full of basics on the truck, like VIN tag info, and info on new equipment for that year and such.

Shoot me a PM 8)
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Well,I'd be one of those people who would ask here first then check with the manual later...It's in my nature,I guess....My wife used to always give me hell because half way through a purchase that came with "some assembly required",and one leg was shorter than the others,or the batteries were put in backwards or I'd put in the zanzifray where the kenutenvalve was supposed to go,...she'd demand that I read the directions....which,my replay was usually something along the lines of "I can't read Spanish,French or Swahili"...

Fortunately,the manuals are in one language,and I think it's a good idea to own one...On the other hand,I have a great knack for turning a one hour job into a weekend affair(like when I replaced my starter) and I like the hands-on advice I get here from people who know some of the tricks and shortcuts and are willing to help...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

I really want to scare up a full set of nice shop manuals for my '67 on my next paycheck.
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

I agree that the manuals are a given, I have them and use them extensively. However, I would categorize myself as a novice and even after reading the manual, sometimes it's just nice to get an explanation in layman's terms.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Your covered :)
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

dcbullet wrote:even after reading the manual, sometimes it's just nice to get an explanation in layman's terms.

:yt:

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;) There are a lot of things some of us take for granted (myself included, all to often!) because we are so used to them. Terminology, methods of wrenching, etc, that some people, while very skilled at some things, have no clue about others. I think most of us need to have answers every now and then, some more than others, and I do believe that is the reason why places like this exist.

Or, maybe it's just to have a place to go waste indefinate, invaluable amounts of time on....

Nahh. :lol:
Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

I need to get manuels for my truck and my dads. I have chiltons manuel, but it is really confusing. I know I ask a bunch of easy questions around here (see temp guage). I seem to come here first rather than go to the manuel, or when my dad is not here to help me. I like to hear the responses from you guys, because it saves me alot of trouble shooting time when I am working alone on my truck. Also, I like to here your personal experiences with the your trucks.
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!