4x4 Wheels

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Strongbad

4x4 Wheels

Post by Strongbad »

Having more and more trouble finding 15 inch tires so I am considering going with a bigger rim. 16.5" to 18" is what I am thinking.

Has anyone else on here done something similar? What about factory takeoffs? They tend to be plentiful and affordable. Saw a F100 4x4 with Lincoln Navigator takeoffs but not sure what year takeoffs would fit.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 4x4 Wheels

Post by HIO Silver »

Avoid 16.5s.. it's an oddball size and there is a very limited wheel selection unless it's stock. 16.5 tires also have limited availability and you'll pay a premium for them.

15s aren't hard to find... you need to look harder. 16s are the most common with 17s close behind. Tire selection is widely carried.

Take-offs? Dodge and Jeeps also wore 5.5s but the critical issue is the hub bore size.

Refer to the following database for specific makes and models that may swap: http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods ... z2fZ0t1MLr
sykanr0ng

Re: 4x4 Wheels

Post by sykanr0ng »

17" wheels are gaining over 16" in availability

The 1941 to 1986 Jeeps had the same center hub size and 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern as the Ford 1/2 ton Dana 44

E150 vans kept the same 5 on 5.5 pattern until they stopped being 5 hole.
... I've got skills, ingenuity and no regard for maintaining any kind of historical preservation/authenticity...