mudding

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

matt_stan40

mudding

Post by matt_stan40 »

I have a problem with my truck when i go mudding, my distributor cap gets water inside of it and the truck dies. When that happens i have to get out of my truck into some deep ass puddle or muddy mess and dry out my spark plug wires with a rag. What should i do?
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

don't they make a silcone spray for bog racing? if not try some wd40 in the cap before you go mudding.
matt_stan40

re: mudding

Post by matt_stan40 »

ill try that, but with the silicon spray stuff, is that something ill only have to apply once?
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

you could get real fancy and do like the professionals do it.
seal the cap to the dizzy, then hook up an air source and pressurize the cap (with like 1-2 psi)
would make tune-ups a pain, but what the hey! its all in playing the game!

another thing you could do is put a flap under the radiator, so when you go into the bog, the flap will deflect most of the water out of the engine bay, keeping it dryer, anyways.

one more thing you could do is swap to an electric fan. just shut off the fan while you are in the bog, then the mechanical fan won't be able to throw water over the engine. And it wont use the water to actually 'pull' the engine fan into the radiator(seen it done!)
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
68half/step4x4

Post by 68half/step4x4 »

I like Keiths idea with the gloves. We used to run tape around em. WD-40., wouldn't leave home without it. Heep, you can't just stay out of the mud. Against human nature!!

half/step
If it's too loud, you're too old!!!
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrung0wa »

You can go down to your local FORD agency and if their parts guys are up to snuff they'll be able to hook you up with a cool distributor insulator made from rubber that surrounds the entire cap and a couple of inches of the plug wires with a real snug fit. That will keep all foreign and unwanted substances from the rotor chamber! :wink:

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
mrung0wa
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrung0wa »

Brother, let me tell you do they ever work!

After I installed one that my bro gave me from work into my Ol' 76 Bronco. I could traverse a good 1 1/2' to 2' of water (You know the really wet stuff!) without any hesitation. All I really had to worry about was getting any H2O into the Carb intake...

Lawrence 8)
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?pos=-2746

FOR SALE: 64 Galaxie 390HiPo C6 (Project Car)
SOLD! 69 F100 Contractor SPECIAL 300 I6 "Jethro"
01 BMW 325i 4DR E46(Wife's car)
03 EXPEDITION XLT FX4(2WD/AWD/4WD) 5.4L K&N FipK

"I beat my head against the wall, Because it feels good when I stop."
460 crew
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 460 crew »

Didn't these covers come on a couple yrs of 5.0 Mustangs? Coulda sworn I remember one beeing on one of my X GF moms mustang.
1970 4x4 Crewcab build and 12v cummins conversion
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=17179
matt_stan40

Post by matt_stan40 »

hey, i just did the rubber glove idea and i was really surprised at what a good idea it was. the only problem is when i was putting it on i indiscriminately took off spark plug wires and when i went to put the wires back on i found out that the spark plug wires need to go on in a certain order and now i cant start the truck. if anyone has any idea what order the wires go on the distributer cap then please tell me asap.