What are they?

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

capeclassics

What are they?

Post by capeclassics »

Inside my 70 Sport Custom,there is what appears to be broken off bolts on each rear cab pillar.They are located about half way up between the top of the seatback and the roof.Any clue?Thanks
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: What are they?

Post by FORDification »

If you're talking about what I think you are, those are the mounts for the shoulder belt on a 3-point seat belt setup. Very few trucks ever came from the factory with them, normally the threaded holes have a rubber plug installed there. If there are indeed broken-off bolts in those holes now, it means a previous owner tried to install a 3-point setup using the wrong bolts, and decided he'd force them in, despite the thread being wrong....until they broke off.

Just an FYI: the mounts are in different spots on '67-'69 trucks than they were on '70-'72s:

[EDIT - IMAGE DELETED - SEE BELOW]
Last edited by FORDification on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

gotta be some kind of threaded studs mounted in the shoulder-belt holes in the cab. That is if they look like 'broken off bolts'.
capeclassics

Post by capeclassics »

Yep,that's exactly what I'm talkin about....now I gotta figure out how to remove the broken off bolts..........dagnabit!
Thanks guys!
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

My dads 71 has the hole in the spots that the 67-69 have. I know it is a 71 though because all the interior is 71 and the VIN off the cab is.
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

I always thought those were the remnants of a coat hook. :-)
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: What are they?

Post by FORDification »

71-F-250SC-72-F-250C wrote:My dads 71 has the hole in the spots that the 67-69 have. I know it is a 71 though because all the interior is 71 and the VIN off the cab is.
Sorry about that....I meant to follow up on your post but got sidetracked and forgot. However, since you mentioned it I seemed to remember someone else mentioning here on the forums a while back that those mounts weren't a '67-69/'70-'72 thing....and upon further investigation found that I was incorrect. The shoulder-belt mounts weren't moved around to the side until mid-'71, so I've redid the graphic to illustrate the correct dates:

In other words, you can have a '71 with either mounting point. I'm glad you guys are keeping me on my toes and helping to ensure that the info presented here is accurate. :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!