Returning to center

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

phoelsch

Returning to center

Post by phoelsch »

I'm working on the front end of my 70 F-100 4x2 ps/pb and I've replaced the tie rods and drag link. I'll be getting an alinement in the next week or so. My question is the damn thing doesn't return to center when I make turns. Makes for a white knuckle ride. What causes this? I haven't touched the King pins. yet
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

i dont know but mine does that too. i just palm it through the turn and then back.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

are you talking about the steering wheel? if so wait until you get the alignment done and see where it lands. if its not centered then it can always be removed and reset to center.
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Returning to center

Post by 1970F250 »

i think he means when you go around a corner the tires dont straiten them selves back out if you let go of the wheel. thats what mine does.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

then i would say the tires are going to far and not being able to return by themselves. does it do it in both directions? if not then i would say thats the problem. or the steering gear is getting stuck internally.
phoelsch

Post by phoelsch »

You are correct Steve. That's exactly what I mean. It does it in both directions. If I'm making a turn and let go of the wheel, the truck will continue to make the turn. It will not return to center or straighten itself out.
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

jack it up and get the weight off the wheels turn it complete to right against steering stops wack it a couple of times with sledge in axle eye area now all way left and hit it again repeat on both sides . With it still up no load on king pins make sure all king pin grease fittings take grease . let it down and test drive

When the king pins get dry they tend to hang up and steering wont return this will also cause a road walking effect .

even though it appers the kingpins sre accepting grease they may not be getting down in the bushings

Tony B
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

no toe or toe out can cause this to an extent. If it worked good before, that would be my first guess.

Did you count turns or otherwise measure the removed parts in an effor to reassemble them at the same lengths?

Build a toe bar and try to set it with a little toe in.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/48938/
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
phoelsch

Post by phoelsch »

You guys are great. thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the carcraft method first. If I get a sledge in my hand, ya never know whats going to happen. Might end up with a head ache.
I now have plans for tomorrow.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Also if you crank the adjuster down too far on the steering box it won't return anymore. This is a common mistake people make trying to tighten up a loose steering box when in reality it is the pitmanshaft bushing that is worn out.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

Dont smack it that hard . And don't grin like an idot <hehe from someones signature text>. And incorect toe will cause it as well was it doing it before you replaced the parts .

Tony B
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket