Payback! A vintage Che*y pickup powered by Ford

General Discussion Topic Archives
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Payback! A vintage Che*y pickup powered by Ford

Post by FORDification »

OK....I'm a little bored at the moment, so I just thought I'd entertain us here tonight and share a story with you all, along with some pictures. So kick back, dig out a can/bottle of your favorite beverage, and follow along during the first FORDification Story Hour: :lol:

Last fall when I headed up to the other end of the state for a few days to go visit family, in the town where I grew up, I stopped in to an old friend's house. We spent a lot of time getting caught up and reliving past adventures. Even with MY eventful 20s and 30s, he definitely topped me since I left! Don had lost an arm in one adventure series and lost a leg in another! :doh: But he got prosthetics for both and was keepin' on with livin'. (You'll see a pic of him farther down in this post.)

Anyway, he was always a gearhead too, except that he liked motorcyles...the fast Japanese kind. His favorite was a Kawasaki 900 that he'd built from parts bikes. (Actually, now that I think about it, it was this bike that started the chain of events which eventually cost him the leg....but that's another story.) However, with things as they are now, he decided to mess around with and fix up a trio of vintage Ch*vy trucks that he'd picked up for next to nothing. He took me out back behind the garage in their country lot and showed me his collection:

As you can see, he's got a very nice trio of trucks here. Two of the three are virtually 100% stock with very little rust. The seats are almost non-existant, though, from years of wear. Two of the three run, one with the original inline-6. The other one....well, that's interesting. You know how it really chaps our butts when someone restoring a vintage ('40s-'50s) Ford truck, they often ruin it by dropping in a SBC. And you know how you always say "One of these days I'm gonna drop a Ford engine in one of those Ch*vy trucks, just to p*ss them off!"? Well, here you go....here's proof that some crazy people actually follow through on that threat.

If you lift the lid on the brown truck in the foreground, one of the running trucks, this is what you're gonna see:

Don can't take the credit for the engine installation, it was already installed when he got it. And to make it a little sweeter, it's got the matching transmission (manual 3-spd) and a 9" Ford rearend! He told me he'd gotten started looking into what he'd need to drop a SBC instead...until he started getting some flack from the Bowtie Bunch about driving an abomination....a Ford-powered Ch*vy! :eek: I was encouraging him to keep the drivetrain as-is, and even offered him a spare FE I've got. Now he's decided he's gonna keep the Ford drivetrain in there....just to mess with people's minds!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that with you all....just a small step forward for the Fordaholics. :lol: :evil:

Here's the pic I promised you earlier, of Don and I and another good friend, posing with his trucks. Yeah yeah, I know I look like a dork in those shorts....but it was July there....it was HOT!

(By the way, did you notice how I still got a Ford in every one of those shots?) 8)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Payback! A vintage Che*y pickup powered by Ford

Post by Jake11 »

You did good.
wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

At least you got him on the road to recovery by keeping the Ford drivetrain.
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

:yt: lol lol
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

"Tossed out the built 383 to upgrade to a Ford inliner"
That'll give the Chevy guys a stroke... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Kraig

Post by Kraig »

When I was in the Air Force my shop chief swapped a 351W , '71 TBird front suspension and 9" into a '49 GMC pickup! It was pretty cool. Did in his driveway with string, a level etc to keep things straight. He also swapped a diesel Rabbit motor into VW Beetle and got 55mpg! I"ve also seen a Vega with a FE 390 in it, a Chevette with a Ford 2.3 Turbo (one of my favorite motors.. see my signature).
1969 F100 Ranger LWB Big Block, factory bucket seats and behind seat storage (arrived 3/21/12) (and it was free!)
1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 247K and still going strong! (sold with 251,758 miles on it!)
1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang (1 of 83) "the original Fox body "R" model!!"
1972 Ford F-100 LWB SOLD 5/2/6
1995 F150 XLT Supercab (wanna trade for a Bump?)
oldford

Post by oldford »

Good story, Right On :thup:
1971 f250 4x4, 390- 4 speed- 4.56
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

On Slick 60s site someone posted an Ebay add of an early 70s Camaro with a 429 in it. It's funny how crazy the Chevy guys go when they see that. Way crazier than the Ford guys go, despite the fact that it's way more common seeing a Chevy motor in a Ford car.
Personally, the only time I car is when the car is very rare. I do get tired though of seeing a nice traditional hot rod with an SBC in it. Escpecially if they were meticulous about making it right in every other aspect and have some innovative ideas. then throw in an SBC. I have nothing against the SBC, but in a car like that, it just ruins it for me. A cop out, too easy, no challenge, and not in keeping the rest of the car.
I've always like '57 Chevy trucks. I'd love to run a 390 in one just to be different.
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!
pat67shorty

Post by pat67shorty »

I wanna stick a 351C into a Nova. Then, when I'm sick of the inferior car... I'll yard it out and drop it into a falcon. :D
'67 SWB, 1970 car 390, Edelbrock Streetmaster intake, MSD 6AL, 780 Holley, Hedman headers, 2.5 duals, 3.54 D44 L/S, C6.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

K- add these to your "payback" series
:thup: :drive: jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

^^^^^^^^ wow!!!! nice
Ethan

67 f100 - 4"lift - cut fenders - 36 TSL's
390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 835#136835

69 f100- Parts truck
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

:eek: thats nice!

i see that you got the picture posting down jd. ;)
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
junkyardjeff

Post by junkyardjeff »

I have a 37 chevy truck that is going to get a 302/C-4 after I get the 55 sunliner on the road,I cant wait untill I start the process. Jeff
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

pic posting thanks to K & Steve! jd
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

What I can't figure out is why all of these custom car owners and builders spend cubic $$$$$ on everything, then put a belly button--everyone else does it--engine in it!!??? :hmm:
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351