76 F250 Camper Special Tow Rig

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

Joshgt87

Re: 76 F250 Camper Special Tow Rig

Post by Joshgt87 »

If anyone knows of specific headers that fit nice with this I’d love to know. I’ve heard shorty headers from a 5.0 fit and I’ve also heard 351 mustang swap headers fit. I wonder if equal length fit? Or if there are any longtubes.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I went with BBK Fox body shorty headers because of the heads I'm using (GT40P from a '98 Mountaineer), but I'm still a good way from switching motors so I can't tell you how they'll work in a bump or dent. The plug location can be an issue with some headers but these are one of the brands that fit, and I'm banking on the extra space we have over a Mustang making them an easy bolt on. I guess we'll see :roll:
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Jacksdad wrote:I went with BBK Fox body shorty headers because of the heads I'm using (GT40P from a '98 Mountaineer), but I'm still a good way from switching motors so I can't tell you how they'll work in a bump or dent. The plug location can be an issue with some headers but these are one of the brands that fit, and I'm banking on the extra space we have over a Mustang making them an easy bolt on. I guess we'll see :roll:

I used Ford Racing shorties on my Windsor. They are also good to use on GT40P heads. Anyways drivers side fits good. Passenger side is another issue. The collector is partially over the frame rail so the exhaust shop had to make a quick bend to clear it. Probably could clearance the frame some.

Barry
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Good to know. With it being a mix and match engine, I figured if there is any modification needed, pulling a shorty header and modifying it would be a lot easier than trying to get long tubes out once the motor is in place. I'm replacing the entire exhaust system anyway, so tweaking the headers or making a new front pipe that clears everything is not going to be a deal breaker.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

I’ve made a good bit of progress since my last post. I’m getting really close to starting it up. For the headers, I went with a set from Hooker that were designed for an 80 Bronco with a 351. I did have to dimple them pretty good in some spots. I know a lot of people will say I ruined them, but I watched an episode of engine masters where they beat one of the pipes almost completely closed and only lost 1 hp. It wasn’t a deal breaker for me, they fit really really good other than that. I also had to slightly grind the driver side perch. The passenger side header fell right in with zero issues.

I haven’t decide what I’m gonna do with them yet. They are so easy to get out though that I’m gonna start it and burn the factory paint off then I’ll deal with, weather or not I’ll get them coated, or wrap them. or whatever.
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

I got the front dress put on the engine as well. I also addressed the motor being slightly crooked by changing to 302 mounts. I don’t know if it was me or what but it seemed to fit way better.

As for the valve covers the fit was terrible. Every bolt hole was at least 1/2 a hole off. I had to file the holes back then modify the gasket to fit. But I really love thw way they look.

My champion radiator came in and it at least looks fantastic! Well see how it does, the internet gave it pretty good reviews overall.

Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

And here is how it sits now. New alternator, wrong pulley, but got the belt on, and plug wires. I’m super close. I need to figure out how to hook up the power steering pressure hose. Also the 4r70w shift linkage. I’ve re ran my exhaust, and I ordered stuff to put an H pipe in it. Basically just 2 flanges so I can unbolt and remove the exhaust.

I’m not going to run that air filter either. For one, I think the 390 must have back fired and caught it on fire. Cuts it looks really rough. It looks like it’ll let anything pass through it.

Also for some reason if it rains, there is water that always drips on top of the air cleaner. I know that rubber seal is missing so maybe I’ll replace that. But I don’t wanna take any chances with this new motor.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

That's sexy looking in there!! Was going to reference engine masters yeah them headers are fine! Looking sharp!! :thup: The air cleaner oil is suppose to help with the water. However my big bronco has one of those water pre wraps on it. The dually too....
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Well she's up and running! I've had a laundry list of little issues but some of it was to be expected. Some of it not. It's been one of the worst new engine startups I've ever done. I had the distributor one tooth off, but i could twist the distributor so much I thought it was fine. There wasn't enough adjustment though. That one was on me. The next one on me was trying to set the base timing without actually removing the vacuum advance. Real amature hour lol! Finally the biggest one that through me for a loop was the o2 sensor wasn't reading. I didn't realize how dependent the FAST system was on it. It can't function without it really. I'll post a better update a bit later. Thanks to all those who've helped! I've still got a lot of plans for this truck!

IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by IN2FORD »

Well Done!!
Barry
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

I think we have all been there on the silly mistakes on a start up, glad you got her running! Looking forward to seeing more of her.
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car