C6 oil coming from front bell housing

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Redcrew71

C6 oil coming from front bell housing

Post by Redcrew71 »

Noticed a good dribble one day on street. Parked my truck for a while and good amount leaking down. Wiped down all underneath and fired up.
Found drips coming from bell housing at the front where it mates with engine. I assume this would mean main input shaft seal or something leaking? Assume its a big job. I am not one to take a tranny out would get a shop to.

Also note leak on the gear shift linkage going into side of tranny. Is this easy to fix?
Thanks.
71 f250 w 360.
Redcrew71

Re: C6 oil coming from front bell housing

Post by Redcrew71 »

sooo...reading on another forum. Possibly a converter drainback check valve not seating with the converter dumping oil into the housing??

I do note my truck sides on slopped drive way down. front of truck down. if I have overfilled the tranny could this be the issue? I am not having to add a ton.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

There are a few things that can cause it - I believe the front pump alone has a bushing, seal, an o-ring and a gasket that could give you problems. If you have an AFT leak coming from the bellhousing, there isn't much that you can do that doesn't involve the motor and trans being separated either in or out of the vehicle.
As a bandaid fix, maybe throw some stop leak in there. I've never had a bad one completely stop for good, but it can make it manageable until you're ready to do it properly.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
Delta Bob

Post by Delta Bob »

keep checking the level of the oil and the trans fluid to see which one is getting lower as you drive it and then you will have a pretty good clue as to the origin of the leak.
Redcrew71

Post by Redcrew71 »

Delta Bob wrote:keep checking the level of the oil and the trans fluid to see which one is getting lower as you drive it and then you will have a pretty good clue as to the origin of the leak.
oh I know its tranny fluid. just wondering where its coming from at the front housing. seems to be only issue when truck on slope downwards.