Pondering A/C - Probably Hang On

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

DuckRyder

Pondering A/C - Probably Hang On

Post by DuckRyder »

I’m wanting to put some AC in the RangerXLT within the next year.

I really don’t care for the outlets included with most of the integrated systems, not particularly the hose routing. My truck had hang on AC at some point and already has a hole in the floor for the drain and a multitude of holes on the edge of the dash along with holes in the firewall for the hoses.

I’m leaning toward the reproduction MarkIV by vintage air.

It is supposed to be metal and looks like a quality piece.

Old air makes a similar one.

As well as What I will call a Mustang style unit.

In fact Vintage air makes one of these as well, they actually all look about the same.

Classic offers this one:

I am thinking that any of these will have to be mounted similar to:

Which I am OK with.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Pondering A/C - Probably Hang On

Post by sargentrs »

I investigated similar options in my search. You are correct in your mounting orientation. All of the usual vendor's units were too deep to be mounted horizontally. They'd stick 6" out from the dashboard. Not a lot room under there on our trucks. I did find a kit on ebay that was only 13" deep but still stuck out too far for my liking. You could mount it on the floor and angle it up for a little better position. I had a FordAire unit in my '64 Fairlane, converted to R-134. It blew nice and cool. However, only having vents in the center meant my right side stayed cool but my left side stayed warm from the sun coming thru the window. :lol: I wound up acquiring an original '72 suitcase unit and refurbushing it. Haven't actually installed it yet. I'll still have the cool side/warm side issue but it'll fit better.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I would build one from locally available materials. Modify the stock box and go with it. Pick something with similar layout and run it with junk yard parts for fitment and new stuff for trials.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

sargentrs wrote:I investigated similar options in my search. You are correct in your mounting orientation. All of the usual vendor's units were too deep to be mounted horizontally. They'd stick 6" out from the dashboard. Not a lot room under there on our trucks. I did find a kit on ebay that was only 13" deep but still stuck out too far for my liking. You could mount it on the floor and angle it up for a little better position. I had a FordAire unit in my '64 Fairlane, converted to R-134. It blew nice and cool. However, only having vents in the center meant my right side stayed cool but my left side stayed warm from the sun coming thru the window. :lol: I wound up acquiring an original '72 suitcase unit and refurbushing it. Haven't actually installed it yet. I’ll still have the cool side/warm side issue but it'll fit better.
Yes the Mark IV is 13.5 deep and slightly narrower than the “Mustang style” units which are 13” deep. (According to manufacturer websites.)

I agree there is very little room, particularly with the factory heater box in place.
Ranchero50 wrote:I would build one from locally available materials. Modify the stock box and go with it. Pick something with similar layout and run it with junk yard parts for fitment and new stuff for trials.
I’m curious what that would look like - do you have a donor in mind? Considering I’m working out of a 2 car garage with 2 cars in it, neither one of which is the Truck. One day I hope to have a shop and more fabrication tools, but right now that seems a little beyond the scope of what I’d be able to accomplish in a reasonable time period.

Old Air does still offer a specific fit under dash for out trucks for a couple hundred more than the Mark iV. Still not really happy with the way that looks.

I did notice KC - of KC’s Paint Shop / Gas Monkey built a modesty panel for one of their trucks and used a RestoMod air unit with nice vents. They offer this unit with bluetooth control so one could seemingly skip the entire control issue. I like this idea, but it still probably has the hose routing issue.
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Several years ago I proposed making a new box out of stainless or something similar with the fan before the heater core and adding a AC coil at the same time. I still think it's a viable idea but I'd make a spray foam negative of the stock box and open it up to reorient the HVAC components then fiberglass the modified hump to the stock box. I think it has potential.

I also have an older aftermarket under dash unit from A.M.A. that was made for out trucks and may go that route since it uses flare fittings which are easy to get hoses for. It has an internal thermostat and fan to so it's just under hood where I'd need to do custom work. My biggest problem is I don't have any room behind the grill for the condenser. I even notched the grill inserts to clear the heat exchanger. I'd thought about mounting one between the frame rails below the fan. IDK...

It even has the stock style and color wires.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I really like that AMA unit!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Gray035

Post by Gray035 »

I was facing the same choices you are a while back. I decided to find a dealer option style interior unit and then use a modern Sanden 508 style compressor. I made a simple mount for the condenser in front of the radiator, which was just a piece of flat stock shimmed out far enough to mount the condenser so it wouldn't touch the radiator. Here's a picture of the evaporator I found.
IMG_0741 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 F-250 Camper Special
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I do like the ARA set up better than the new options for our trucks.

Gray I like yours too.

I am kicking myself for selling the NOS deluxe dealer unit I had. :cuss:

I do really like the deal KC did...

https://youtu.be/nFuXP1nptf0
Robert

Gray035

Post by Gray035 »

sargentrs wrote:However, only having vents in the center meant my right side stayed cool but my left side stayed warm from the sun coming thru the window. :lol:
I use one of these at times when the sun is beating through the side window. Sometimes on the back window too. Works great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 F-250 Camper Special
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Hmm, so “Restomod Air” and Classic Auto Air share an address. :hmm:
Robert

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I was thinking of having the windows done with 3M Crystalline, even very light time will block a lot of the heat, and I don’t want it dark as that tends to spoil the looks of a classic IMO.

The reality is that in order to have the truck ready to do what I want, I’m probably going to have to do the interior, not much point in doing the interior without painting it, so I am warming up to biting the bullet and doing a more integrated system, I can always do the vents later, but I was also thinking of perhaps wrapping the ducts in vinyl upholstery or flocking them... might make it less plasticky...
Robert

FFRKing

Post by FFRKing »

I did the Old Air Products unit in mine, but modified the fire wall slightly to let the unit set flat against the firewall. I realized afterward that they have a bracket to do this. I did this after looking into rebuilding the original heater box and adding A/C. I will be using the rectangular vents on the driver and passenger side and incorporating vents into the center console that will tie into the dash. The console was required to hide that wiring for the Detail Zone panel for the 4.6 3V and the automatic shifter.

Chris
-1968 F100 SWB, 4.6 3V, 5R55S auto, Crown Vic front and rear.
-1968 Cougar XR-7, 351C, AOD, Explorer rear. In approx. 6,000 pieces at the moment.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the factory AC. It's built for the truck so it fits perfectly, and it cools very nice. Here's a picture of mine [attachment=0]IMG_1446.JPG[/attachment]