Resurrecting dad's old 68 F-100 4x4

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Resurrecting dad's old 68 F-100 4x4

Post by JoshT »

Dad didn't reject my idea of getting a different gasket and finding someone else to do the install, but he did suggest maybe giving it a couple weeks of driving the truck to see if the gasket and windshield settle into place better. Still figuring on replacing the gasket and reinstalling, but it's worth a shot. Might not get any better, but it won't get worse in that time and will give my wallet a little longer to recover.

In other news...

It's ALIVE!!!

Had to be at work early today and as a result got off work well before midnight. Figured this would be a great day to really try it out, if I did need help I wouldn't be calling dad at 1am. Didn't need to worry, it did great! Got out on the highway and it ran fine, did great with stop and go in town. Still got a few things to work out, but it's definitely usable as is. About 65 trouble free miles today, and more to come tomorrow.

Still need some brake work. Bled the brakes some more and pedal feels much better than it did. Might need to do a little more adjusting on the master cylinder push rod, but it's just little tweaks if I do. Stopped well enough compared to what it used to, I still think it could do better though. Next step in that arena is a dual diaphragm booster.

Truck is actually running too cool. The Sniper EFI never would get into and stay in the learn status. Pulled up and watched the coolant temp gauge while I was driving and it stayed around the 155 mark, system needs at least 160 to go into learn mode. Don't know what temp thermostat is installed. Dad thought is was a 180, but, based on how its acting, its probably a 160. Coolant was clean and thermostat seemed to be working so I haven't even messed with that system yet except topping it off. Probably need to order a 180 degree fail-safe thermostat when I order my brake booster.

Probably the biggest thing I discovered from driving the truck tonight is that I need a dome light. Once the sun goes down it's dark in there. Wasn't worried about it, I got flash lights. Well it's kinda hard to find the flashlight after it slides into the passenger floor board and you've only got moon light to see by. Looks like I need to make an purchase from Ranchero50.

In the morning I'm hopping in the truck and headed to a local swap meet. Perry, GA has been hosting a fall auto swap meet for a few years now. Keep meaning to go and forgetting about it until after it passes. Got a good reason to remember this year, hopefully I can find a few goodies for the truck. If the weather is nice I'll try to get a few pics of the truck outside the barn.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Knew I hadn't updated in a while. but just realized that I never uploaded a picture of the truck after it was back on the road. Still got a long way to go, but here's where it's at for now.

[image]1010[/image]
[image]1011[/image]
[image]1015[/image]
[image]1016[/image]

Got a few hundred miles on it at this point and it's done good for the most part. It did leave me stranded about 2 miles from the house right around Christmas, turned out to be a bad ignition module and/or pickup coil in distributor which seems to be common for Duraspark.

Next up is getting the exhaust fixed. Purchased a high torque mini starter and a set of eBay headers, they are copies of the FF427 mid-length headers. Just got to get the starter installed and find someone to build me an exhaust system.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Nice progress!
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
popeyes71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by popeyes71 »

Congrats on getting her running!
-Popeye-
1971 F-250 4x4 Highboy
1966 Chevy Nova, 8 second 10.5 car
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Any updates?
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Mostly chasing little issues and driving it when the weather isn't too hot. No visual changes to show off.

Windshield and gasket is still leaking a bit. Guess I'm going to order one from DC or Steele Rubber and get it changed out. Should probably dig out the windshield trim and get it ready for that so I won't have to do it again in the near future.

Mini Starter installed no problem, but I still need to clean up the wiring. It's amazing the difference that starter made, boy does it spin that engine over good.

Got the exhaust replaced several months ago. Installed the E-bay headers, needed to bump the bolt holes up one size for fitment, but I think that was probably due to my hardware (old and probably not straight) more than the headers. New exhaust done by local shop, fortunately the shop is literally a block from my parents house where I installed the headers because I am not a fan of open headers. Simple 2.5" header back with aluminized pipe and generic turbo mufflers. Might not be the greatest sound, but its what I wanted for now and quiet enough that I can hear what else is going on with the truck. Might swap the mufflers for something else when I get other things squared away.

After getting the truck back from the exhaust shop it started running bad. Acted like it was starving for fuel, drove it to work a day or two after getting it back and on the way home it it got to the point it wouldn't accelerate and topped out at about 45 mph. Took a bit to figure out exactly what happened and I felt pretty stupid when I did. Turned out that in that 2 foot of pipe left from the original fuel system there was enough crud to plug a filter. Somehow the screen on my fuel pressure regulator (Sniper EFI) also got cruddy. With those fixed it was running good again.

Right now I'm chasing a braking issue and an idle rpm issue, also wandering of the two might somehow be connected. After fixing the above I found that the brakes acted like I had no power assist. Fixed a vacuum leak that seemed to help a bit but still not right. Ordered another booster from Summit a few weeks ago, it was backordered, but is now supposed to ship in 2 weeks. :dk: We'll see what happens. In the mean time I picked up a replacement check valve from NAPA to see what would happen. Made a bigger improvement than fixing the vacuum leak, but things still aren't quite right. At this point I've driven it all of a mile since replacing the check valve, that was one trip and the throttle was sticking and I don't know how that may have affected things. Of course after replacing the check valve, the throttle seems to hang when I let off to shift or brake. I suspect that the secondary throttle blades aren't closing fully, but haven't investigated it further yet. Got a few things to try for fixing that and want to give the progressive throttle mod (Sniper EFI again) another try just got to get a round to it.

Finally, I've got another list of things to fix.

Tracked my engine oil leak down to intake manifold an I believe I mentioned in another thread, got gaskets on hand. Will be switching to Holley Dual Sync distributor and Sniper EFI controlled timing when I change intake gaskets.

My rear end is leaking oil, appears to be the third member gasket. (That whole sentence feels wrong) Have a gasket on the shelf, but will just be keeping it topped off for now.

Got a coolant leak at firewall heater core connection, almost scared to fix this. Due to its age and probably condition, I'm worried that I'll damage the heater core while trying to remove the hoses. Will get to it before winter hits, just keeping an eye on coolant level and severity of leak for now. If it gets too bad I'll bypass and fix later.

Other stuff in the works as well, but that should satisfy curiosity until I get around to posting again, which might not be until I have pictures.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

I said I probably wouldn't update again until I had pictures. Well, here's a picture, just not the one I want to be showing.

[image]1182[/image]

When I installed the new wheels and tires, I also opted to install a 2" wheel spacer on the rear axle. Didn't and still don't like how narrow the rear axle is in these, some day it'll be replaced with a later model axle. Do not regret running a spacer, I do regret neglecting the spacer. I knew when I installed it that I needed to check it regularly, but I never did. Was driving over to my parents house last Monday and the wheel decided to separate from the axle, found the wheel and tire in perfect shape about a hundred yards off in the woods. The asphalt ground about a half inch off the bottom of the backing plate, got a replacement from a member of one of the Facebook groups. Need a new drum, lug studs, and a little bit of hardware and it'll all be back together. Assuming I don't have to wait long on those other parts it should be back on the road this week.

Once again I do not blame the wheel spacer, this was my fault for not checking to make sure they stayed tight. Would I run spacers again? Yes and do a better job of checking them. Will I be putting them back on this truck? Probably not.

Got several other items lined up for the 68, hopefully I'll be able to start posting about them soon. Been working on getting the 99 Ranger back up and running, hopefully it's close, but it's not there yet. Put a new used engine in it last week, heard the engine running in the other truck and it was good. Drove it about a hundred miles yesterday and started having oil pressure issues, believe it's something in the oil pickup screen from how it acts. Going to tow it back home tomorrow and hopefully have it right by next weekend. Once it's good, work can resume on the F-100.
rhyne

Post by rhyne »

thanks for sharing about the wheel spacers. i’ chose to run them on mine also, without hesitation or issues. that being said, don’t neglect them.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Warning long post ahead, but at least it's got pictures this time.

I suppose it's time for another update. After last post I got all of the parts in for fixing my screw-up. Changed leaking differential gasket while rear end was apart and got the brakes put back together. Truck is (was) back mobile under it's own power. No pictures of it going back together, but here's the damage to the drum and spacer when the lugs broke:

[image]1205[/image]
[image]1206[/image]

After getting it back together the next stop was to dad's barn to fix a few other issues. First up on the agenda was getting a (hopefully) working alternator belt setup. Since changing to the 135a 3G alternator, I was continuously having belt slippage issues with the single belt. Knew I would probably have the problem before I upgraded the alternator, just hoped I'd get lucky. Should have known better, I never get that lucky.

Before:
[image]1183[/image]
[image]1184[/image]
[image]1185[/image]

After:
[image]1196[/image]
[image]1197[/image]
[image]1198[/image]

Haven't had a chance to test it running yet, but did spin the engine over and all seems to be well. Also had the benefit of giving more space between the lower rad hose and P/S belt. Space likely would not have been an issue on a stock truck and was probably ok on this one, but with my body lift it was a little tighter than I liked.

After getting that squared away I dove straight into the intake manifold gasket replacement. I've got an external oil leak that is coming from up high on the back of the engine. It might have been the valve cover gaskets, but we think it looks more like the intake manifold leaking. Wanted to get this sorted before I did too much more driving and have other upgrades in store that this needed to be fixed first.

[image]1199[/image]

I fully intend to use engine hoist instead of my back to pull the intake so the carb lift plae seemed like a good idea for that and protection from (myself or a critter) dropping something down the intake. Actually a little further along, rockers and pushrods removed, but forgot the camera that day. Got all of this waiting to be installed.

[image]1200[/image]
[image]1201[/image]
[image]1202[/image]

Intake and valve cover gaskets, as well as an oil pan gasket just in case I drop the oil pump drive shaft. Holley Dual Sync distributor that I've had for about a year waiting on the intake gasket replacement. Since I'm going to digital timing control via the Sniper EFI, I figure I might as well go all in and just bought the Hyperspark Ignition Coil and CDI box as well. Also not pictured are a shorter intake spacer and a set of #70 Holley main jets. I actually need a spacer for linkage clearance on the throttle body, but think I a thinner 1/2" inch will fit better than the 1" spacer installed now. The Holley jets are to be used as oil restrictors in the heads, a bandaid to hopefully improve oil pressure until I can get around to rebuilding in a few years.

Also picked up a few more bits and pieces over the last few months, but not sure when these will end up going on the truck. Important thing is I've got them.

[image]1203[/image]

1992 F-150 bench seat. Installing this is probably next project after intake and ignition stuff. Little rough, but a lot better shape than most of what I've seen around here and I think a good buy at $75. Will rent a carpet and upholstery cleaner and give it a good scrubbing (need to hit a couple other cars as well), then install a fitted seat cover to kinda"match" it the truck. Should make for a nice ride compared to the stock, worn out, 50 year old bench seat installed now.

[image]1204[/image]

Hood, inner fenders, and tailgate from a 1967 that was parted a few cities over. Happened to spot these on Facebook when I was looking for something else. Once again they are a bit rough, but they are solid compared to what I have now. About $400 for all of this, which is about what I've seen some hoods in similar shape go for. Sheet metal wise the only thing I still need are a solid long bed and a couple of small (seriously) patch pieces for the cab. Unfortunately the guy scrapped the rest of the truck (which had a good long bed :cuss: ) before I saw the ad. Fortunately I know where a decent long bed is when I get the spare cash for it. I can probably make the pitch pieces for the cab too, just got to learn how to glue them into place.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Looking good. How is the progress? Did you get the intake done?
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Yes, thanks for asking. Was going to be posting an update soon, now is as good a time as any.

Intake manifold removed

[image]1373[/image]

Don't know why everybody complains about the weight of these cast iron manifolds

[image]1374[/image]

Everything back together with the new Sniper ignition system and wiring cleaned up a little

[image]1370[/image]
[image]1369[/image]
[image]1368[/image]

Still got a long ways to go on wiring and several more items I want to add, so this is just temporary to tidy it up a little.

With the engine bay finished up (at least until the next thing broke) I moved to some interior stuff

New Grant 15" steering wheel to replace the cracked stock 17" school bus wheel:

[image]1371[/image]

If you look close in that picture you can also see the steering column mount I added for the Sniper display, guy on the Sniper Facebook page makes them.

Finally the new seat added with a cover from Seat Covers Unlimited to match it to the interior.

[image]1372[/image]

Of course no good deed goes unpunished. Weekend after putting on the steering wheel and seat cover was driving home from parents house and ruptured a power steering hose. It's been raining every free day I've had for the last 4+ weeks so haven't gotten to fixing that yet, maybe this weekend.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Well progress breeds regress :hn:
Paul
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Looking good!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Well its worse than I thought...

Power steering looks like it won't be any trouble to fix, but also looks like it isn't what I thought. Given the smoking and how under the hood looked I assumed that a hose had popped. They are ~40 years old and were probably past due for replacement anyway, so I didn't investigate further.

Got what I hope are the right hoses last week, but I didn't get to install them. Got off work early today so was going to start tearing into it, when I spotted what looks like a leak from the power steering pump. Looks like the seal between the pump and reservoir may have given out at the bottom, so need to get more parts. Think it'll be an easy fix, just got to get parts again. Fortunately, due to what I unfortunately found on the other side of the truck, I've got plenty of time to get it done.

So, while I was under the truck something made me look at the passenger side and I'm glad that I did. Not sure how well these pictures show up, but the best I can get with the wheel installed.

[image]1390[/image]

[image]1391[/image]

[image]1392[/image]

Yikes!!! I would have gotten the PS put back together and been driving the truck during the rain and flooding we are supposed to get (again) this week.

I knew that I had a problem with the spring towers cracking due to being modified 30+ years ago. It was on my list of things to fix once I found donor parts, but I was really hoping to replace them on my schedule though.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Ouch! :doh:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.