How to? C Clip for shifter linkage on firewall

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Redcrew71

How to? C Clip for shifter linkage on firewall

Post by Redcrew71 »

71 f250 ordered a c clip that holds on the column shifter linkage rod going down to the tranny. just up against the firewall.

How the F@## do you put this on. I tried for 2hrs to push it on and no go...quite flimsy thing.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: How to? C Clip for shifter linkage on firewall

Post by sargentrs »

Yeah, it's a royal PITA! Especially if you've replaced the rubber bushing in the lever. The barbs on the clip go against the rubber. I had to grind off the brass sleeve in the bushing a hair. Then I took 2 pairs of vise grips on opposite sides of the rubber bushing and squeeze the rubber, compressing it enough to expose the groove in the rod. Then I used channel locks to grip the bottom of the rod and the top of the clip to get it started. Then removed the channel locks and tap it the rest of the way down with a hammer and brass bar I have. After it's down, remove the vise grips. If still too tight, shave a little off the flat side of the rubber on your bench grinder. Go slow or you'll melt the rubber. I think the aftermarket rubber bushings are made too thick.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.