Protecting Old, Exposed Paint

Moderator: FORDification

hdman90
Preferred User
Preferred User

Protecting Old, Exposed Paint

Post by hdman90 »

My Summer Daily is out of Arizona and has many spots where the sun, wind, and sand has worn the paint away to expose the sheet metal. However, since the truck now lives in PA, this is an issue. The climate and weather here, are turning what used to be light surface rust to a heavier rust, which is fine for now, but I don't want it to turn into something that I regret.
So, time for the question that has probably been asked before, but there may be some new products out there that I am unaware of.
What do I protect my old paint with until I have time/funds to do the body work and paint?
The most common things I've seen are boiled linseed oil, clear coat, or penetrol. I'm not sure if there's a new product out there? Maybe specifically made to keep the rust at bay, while still protecting the existing paint?
Thanks guys.
1969 F-100 LWB 2wd 240 3spd manual
1969 F-250 LWB 4wd 360 4spd manual
1976 F-250 Supercab LWB 2wd 390 4spd manual
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Protecting Old, Exposed Paint

Post by jzjames »

If it were me I would just “spot” the bare metal spots with something like Duplicolor clearcoat. It wouldn’t look much worse for wear.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Satin clear coat works wonders. Low shine, doesn't fisheye too bad and lasts a decent amount of time.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

So far I've had good luck with just using Meguiars carnuba cleaner wax.......I buffed the entire truck and waxed it - bare metal included - and haven't had any rust issues. And here in Ohio it's like you in PA.......not the greatest climate for bare metal........
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR