Instrument panel

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

BigAl47

Instrument panel

Post by BigAl47 »

Need info on restoring my instrument panel. What paint to use etc. how about the Chrome areas
Thanks
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Instrument panel

Post by bluef250 »

Are you trying to "restore" the panel to like new condition? What does your instrument panel look like now and what is your budget?
BigAl47

Post by BigAl47 »

Thank for the reply
No I wasn’t looking for a new look more like just a touch up. Just need to touch up the black and silver painted areas.
Thank you
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Member 69Ford has done some amazing restorations on gauge clusters. http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =2&t=74443
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Don’t overthink the paint color (“factory colors”) when doing your restoration. Take your best guess, and go for it.

So the black would be some kind of satin black, or semi-gloss black. The silver could be any silver or aluminum that you think is closest. Whatever paint you pick will look great if you spend a lot of time on the prep and do a good job on taping off, etc.
Just my humble opinion. :D
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Understand better what you want.

I totally agree that the quality of the end result will depend upon the time you spend prepping the item.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/post ... =6&t=88206#

Soda or other gentle media blasting can remove older finishes.

Plastic items can be covered with paints made especially for plastic. As plastic ages it tends to become brittle, so be careful.

Really rough surfaces might be covered with a finish that hides the defect. Crinkle paints are available.

The lenses need to be as clear as possible as this will have the most visual impact.

I have not used the white gauge faces, but they do add interest being a bit different than the OEM finishes. Same with LED lights.

You may need to experiment with various paints and other finishes to find a combination of colors and finishes you like.

Do some internet research on refinishing and you can find other ideas.

Post some before and after photos and show us the results.