need vent window help

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

vidaliaman

need vent window help

Post by vidaliaman »

1968 ranger f100
just replaced the gaskets for my vent window, most of the gasket fits right into frame however on the runner side there are small rivets that hold the gasket/metal strip to the frame, i can't seem to find a good rivet that will work, has anyone replaced the vent window gasket and what did you use to attach the gasket with metal strip to the frame, thanks abunch

dave
michigan
Lowell

Re: need vent window help

Post by Lowell »

I just recently restored both vent windows. I have a friend who has been doing window and windshield repair for 40 plus years, and he did mine for me. He mentioned there is a specific tool that is used with these rivets and vent window seals, and without it, he says it is very difficult. Mine seemed to be perfect after he finished. Others I have read on, who have had trouble with the rivets, used some weatherstrip adhesive and taped it in place until secure. You may check with a windshield repair company to see if they have the ability to do the vent windows for you. Good luck.
vidaliaman

Post by vidaliaman »

thanks Lowell, i'm going to try a rivet, if the first rivet i put in doesn't work then i will be using weather strip adhesive, thanks again
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
dave1972

Post by dave1972 »

LMC used to and maybe still does sell a vent window rebuild kit with rivets and tool. It worked great and looks stock on my rebuild...
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Anybody familiar with the installation know if the cars used the same style? Mac's sells a kit, too.
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_merc ... lsrc=aw.ds
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

Those look to be exactly the same and it states it will work for other models as well but I'm pretty certain after doing mine our trucks use five rivets per side but I would have to go look to be sure.
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..