Paint question

General Discussion Topic Archives
rsjohnsn

Paint question

Post by rsjohnsn »

Hi all, I hope everybodies weekend went well. I have a question about painting my trailer. I am in the process of building it now and I want to paint it and not have to do it every couple of years. What is the best kind of primer/paint to use? How does the POR15 work? Does it lay down good and can you paint over top of it (white paint)? All I am doing to prep it is to use a wire wheel on my grinder and going to town.

Thanks
Scott
'67 F100 4x2 SWB Custom Cab
'68 F100 4x2 SWB Ranger - 360FE
'84 F150 4x4 SWB XL - 300 Inline 6
'04 F350 4x4 CC DRW - 6.0 Powerstroke
'06 Expedition SVT - Blown 5.4 V8
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

You have to use PORs primer to paint over it. If you want a nice finish, then you need to spray it. I've only brushed POR on (only used it in areas not seen or not concerned about) and it is pretty tough. It needs a good tooth to grab onto though, so if the trailer is rust free, I would rough it up with sandpaper. Your grinder wheel should be fine. I would also use some solvent to clean up residue after you grind it all away.
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: Paint question

Post by Jake11 »

Epoxy primer
hardtailjohn
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Paint question

Post by hardtailjohn »

For a trailer, I'd suggest a good epoxy primer, followed by a polyurea topcoat. That's the paint they use on heavy equipment, and it's good and tough..you may not get the perfect glass smooth shine like you would with a polyurethane, you will get a great looking, long lasting finish, that's not going to be tough to put on, nor will it try to kill you.
JH
Never trust a grinning idiot holding a big hammer!