Extra Fuel Tanks

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

erikhillard

Re: Extra Fuel Tanks

Post by erikhillard »

Here are photos of one of the bolts that the tanks hung with. I believe I used a socket wrench without a socket to loosen them. Might have had to cut one off too. Long time ago. I'm not sure if I would use the same thing to mount them back up again.
IMG_9027.jpg
IMG_9028.jpg
IMG_9029.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Erik H
1968 F100 Ranger
California
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

bobslaven wrote: Are your wide flat nuts threaded or are they more like big, fat washers?
Mine had the long bolts with a wide flat top and a threaded flat nut at the bottom that had 2 square holes in it that was used to tighten them up with - I didn't see any evidence of any rubber washers or anything like that when I took them apart. I had to replace mine with 3/4 threaded rod since the originals were rusted inside the tubes that ran thru the tank from dirt and moisture getting down into them over the years and I ruined them getting them out - I welded a nut to the top of the threaded rod and used a custom wide washer I made at work for support in the bed and used another washer like the top one on the bottom with a locknut. As far as the weight i can't say other than they are not light but if you use a floor jack to lift them into place it's a one person job. I pulled the pickup tubes and made a new gasket for them and checked the rubber tube on the bottom of the pickup which to my surprise was still in great shape after 50+ years. One other problem you might run into is finding gas caps for them. The seals in mine were shot and I never did find anyone that has a replacement for them....not even our local NAPA could get me anything so I drilled the rivet out of mine, made new cork gaskets, and used a small flat top bolt and another locknut with loctite on it to hold everything together.......

I've got some work in getting them out, cleaned up, and reinstalled but I'm glad I did it - they are great for traveling - drove from Galion Ohio to Lexington TN 540 miles and never stopped for gas and still had a about 1/2 a tank left in the main tank........ :D
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

erikhillard wrote:Here are photos of one of the bolts that the tanks hung with. I believe I used a socket wrench without a socket to loosen them. Might have had to cut one off too. Long time ago. I'm not sure if I would use the same thing to mount them back up again.
IMG_9027.jpgIMG_9028.jpgIMG_9029.jpg

That's the ones......you posted it while I was typing my reply! Those are just a hair different than What I had but basically the same thing - wish mine were in that nice of shape when I took them out........ :lol:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
bobslaven

Post by bobslaven »

Thanks Fellas,
I've got very similar long bed hanging bolts (2 per aux tank, 19" apart), but I don't have the same big threaded nuts on the bottom. These ones have a big rounded washer (shown in picture) at the end held in place by a washer/lock washer/nut (9/16 - removed in picture). It's welded onto the tank in spots toward the front and rear of my rig. Not sure why, but seems like the tank should still "slide" down off of those long bolts when the fasteners are off. Won't budge though. I'm figuring rust, gunk, and/or thread sealant is holding it solid. Make sense? Unless one of you smart, experienced Highboy technicians has a better idea, my new gameplan is to try to heat it up real good. See if that breaks it loose.

Billy Bob
Fuel Tank Bolt - 5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobslaven

Post by bobslaven »

Ends up my 2 aux tanks were hanging by bolts from the bed, but welded to those bolts at the top and the bottom. It was very secure.

Here's what the passenger side tank looks like. It's about 33" long, 12+" wide and 10" deep...not including that slanted area near the filler end. Each tank probably weighs around 40 pounds.

Interwebs search for similar sized tanks doesn't seem promising so far. I'm going to see about getting them refurbished at a radiator shop. Besides, they fit, are sturdy, and seem like they're in decent condition.

Gotta be a better way to mount them up there next time. Open to suggestions (please).
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

Just an FYI. I ruined my left side tank trying to get the through bolts out a couple of years ago because of rusting the all thread into the tubes. I got 1 of the nuts holding the tank in and ended up breaking the other one trying to get the nut to turn. The tank would not drop out so, I had to cut the nuts off on top to get it out. I thought if I tapped on the threaded rod to break the rust, it would loosen the bond. Soaked it with PB Blaster and let it sit a couple of days. Set the tank on a couple of 6"x 6" blocks with just enough of a gap for the rod to slide between them. I figured that would isolate any stresses on the tank. Tapped on the rod, turned it over and tapped from the bottom. No dice. Repeated the process for a while and tried to turn the rod with a pipe wrench. Still no go. I thought maybe it needed more of a sharp rap to break loose so, I gave each rod a couple of hard smacks with a bigger hammer. still no good so, I figured maybe harder blows would work. After a couple of hard blows on each rod When I turned the tank over to do the same to the bottom I heard metal rattling around inside the tank. I guess the hard blows broke the baffles loose inside the tank. When I turned the tank back over I noticed some seepage around the tube welded through the tank. OOPS! Figured that since the tank was ruined may as well see if I could get the rods out with a BFH. Never could get the rods to move. Last time I had the tanks out I had slathered grease all over the rods to eliminate this, but 10 years of winter driving had welded the rod to the sleeve. I guess next time I would seal top and bottom with some kind of sealer before snugging it tight. I cut the filler neck off and threw the tank in the scrap metal pile. Live and learn. :(
Mark.
1975 F-250 4X4 (The Beast)
1971 Bronco Sport
bobslaven

Post by bobslaven »

markguiver,
Thanks for the warning. Some questions to prevent me messing it up even more.
Do (or did) your tanks look like mine...sloped on one side with an extension part?
Do you still use the right side tank? Where'd you get an exotic through bolt that long to mount it up? Or did you mount it up some other way (straps or something)?
Since you scrapped the left tank, did you replace it? If so, with what?
The through bolts go through tubes welded inside the tank that make a fuel-free passageway all the way through the tank to the bottom, right?
My through bolts are clearly rusted in pretty good, but it's worse than that. They are welded into the tank on the top and bottom. No external fasteners on the top at all and a big ole washer thing on the bottom welded on solid.
Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer, and Happy Easter sir.

Harrumph!
Billy Bob
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

To answer your questions; My tanks were/are the same shape as yours but the sides are straight, not sloped. I built a flatbed for my truck and when I built the headache rack at the front it was designed for a behind the seat tank to fit in between the outer rails. I pulled a tank at a junkyard, cleaned and painted it, and mounted it right behind the cab. Bonus is I installed a switch in the sender wiring, so each fuel tank works with the dash gauge. The right saddle tank I didn't mount back on the truck, because with the flatbed it would be hanging down under the bed with no protection at all. I think if I had to mount the saddle tanks again I would hang 2 lengths of all thread on each side (front and rear) with a flat strap between the 2 in front and the 2 in the rear. You can clean the loose rust off the tanks and paint them with pour15 to keep the rust away on the outside. You should also use rubber softeners where the tank pulls up to the bed struts and on the flat straps if you go that route. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Mark.
1971 Bronco Sport
bobslaven

Post by bobslaven »

Awesome. Thanks.
bobslaven

Post by bobslaven »

I've decided to re-use those beastly saddle tanks. They're really not in awful shape. Down at a radiator shop getting spruced up. I've been thinking about the best way to mount them back up. If anyone out there has a great method then please let me know.
bobslaven

Post by bobslaven »

I experimented a bit before I could decide how to hang my nicely refurbished auxiliary tanks up there under the bed. I basically got 2 long 5/8" super steel all-threads and cut 4 16" pieces off. Then I got the tanks in place (jack helped) and ran the all-threads through them. Then I cinched them up with some great big locknuts (3 each: one in the bed, one on top of the tank, and one on the bottom). They're rock solid. Tested them out the other day and they work good. It could look a little better, but I'm pleased with the result. Figure I'm able to carry almost 70 gallons of fuel. Well, probably closer to 65...but still a lot. Now if I can just fix my timing I'll be able to burn it regularly.
Last edited by bobslaven on Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markguiver

Post by markguiver »

Nice! You are almost double the 38 gallons I'm carrying in my truck.
Mark.
1971 Bronco Sport